Chapter 3: SOPURU

"In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths"
-Proverbs 3:6

Summer was for family vacations. With my parents tied up at work all year, David and I were left with so little of their time. In order to compensate for their absence, they promised us a whole week of family time at Marvel Land; the best amusement park and resort in Nigeria.

I shooed Elsa, pushing her out of my room. She looked up at me with her black circles. Those eyes could melt the ice in Antarctica. Having enough of her guilt trip, I lifted her into my arms and shut the door behind us.

"Don't disturb me." I shot a finger, raising my brows at her just for good measures. Dropping Elsa on my bed, I hurriedly said my prayers and dashed into the bathroom for a quick shower.

"Blood of Jesus."

With my eyes closed to wash my face, strands of hair stood on edge as goosebumps spread all over my skin. The thought of "Ojujucalaba", the Nigerian boogie man, infiltrated my thoughts causing me to almost slip. My eyes were still shut tight as I traced the walls with my fingers until my palms rested on the shower knob. I frantically turned it on, washing the soap off my face along with the horror.

A sigh escaped my lips as I hurried out of the shower as though I had just slain a dragon. I picked out something simple from the wardrobe. All it took was a glance in the mirror to receive the greatest shock of my life. I lifted my fingers to my eyebrows to be sure I was not dreaming. No, I wasn't dreaming. They were really bright blue.

"Arghhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Instantly, a pounding noise came from the other side of my locked door.

"Sopuru, open this door!" mum bellowed.

I hurried to unbolt the lock. The door flew open as mum barged into my room, searching my body as though I had been maimed. Her eyes trailed my body until it finally stopped at my face. She looked like she had just seen an alien.

"Chineke! O gini n'eme gi?" She finally discovered my new parrot-like shade of brows.

"Sopuru, what is this again?"

"Mummy, it's David." I threw my hands up in a fit. "How am I supposed to go on our trip looking like a parrot? People would laugh at me." I threw myself on her as I wailed loudly. David could not go scot free.

"Akuomasinachi!" mum yelled, calling my brother by his Igbo name. I heard my brother's muffled reply from downstairs.

"Bia n'elu kita kita." I smirked under my arms which had my face hidden from my mother's view as she bellowed for my brother to come upstairs immediately.

"Yes, mum."

My brother's feet at the doorstep came into view from under my folded arms.

"You kids will not kill me." Mum's nostrils flared as she placed her hands on her waist. "Look at your sister. At your old age, you are playing with color and designing your sister's eyebrows, tata."

David opened his mouth to respond but mum silenced him. "Go downstairs and wash all the dishes used from dinner," she ordered.

"But mum, it's Sopuru's turn to do the dishes," David said.

"Ehn... what did you say?" Her tone went grave.

"Nothing." He frowned as he slipped his hands into his pockets.

Before David could walk out, I stuck my tongue out at him without mum noticing. The pool of rage that stirred in his eyes took me off guard as sweat trickled down my back. I knew his payback would soon be upon me. God, please let it have nothing to do with creepy crawlies or a dark room. I shivered at the thought of spiders under my pillows and followed mum down the stairs to have breakfast.