Chapter 11: SOPURU

"God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you"
-Hebrews 13:5

Six years had gone by and I still found myself coming to the beach every Tuesday noon after fishing. I laid on the fallen palm tree, watching the birds soar across the sky. They understood the real meaning of freedom. I could say I had lived all these time but I knew that would be a blatant lie. Everyday had been a battle to survive. At least, they had one another. The only friends I had were the fishes in Sinoe River. I chuckled when I remembered the first day I learnt how to fish. It had been the most terrifying thing anyone had ever asked me to do but I became more skillful in fishing as the years went by.

The sun must have been at war with us because it glared heavily without remorse. I wiggled my toes in the sand enjoying the warmth that came with it. The beach was deserted just the way I liked it. A loud boo came out from nowhere. My legs lost their balance as they doddered but I blocked my fall with a hand, dipping it into the sand for support. Picking myself up, two feet stood before me. I straightened my stance and to meet the insane person who made the noise.

"Hey, sorry about that." The girl didn't look sorry. Rather, her eyes danced with laughter. It only irked me further.

"Is something wrong with you?" My words seemed to get under her skin as she was more sober now.

"So, the little mermaid is not so nice after all." She folded her arms.

"What did you call me?"

"Little mermaid." She shrugged. "At least, that's what they call you in my school."

"Don't call me that." I turned to the water and focused on the waves beyond the reefs. I never knew what people gossiped about me in the town.

"I have come here a couple of times and had always found you in this same position. Why?"

She seemed to be truly curious. This was the first time anyone had taken interest in me.

"It is as though the water speaks to me."

Jernora jumped back. Her eyes were filled with shock. "You mean...you are actually a mermaid?" She shook with contagious laughter it was hard to keep a frown.

"No." I rolled my eyes at her. "What I meant is that I feel connected to it in a way. I was found on the beach six years ago. So, it's like home. Whenever I come here, I can pretend that I actually know who I am and where I'm from."

"How does it feel not to remember who you are?" she asked in a whisper.

"Lost and alone." I let my gaze drift back to the ocean.

The girl blocked my view and smiled softly. Her hair had been neatly weaved back.

"You are not alone anymore. Call me Nora, short for Jernora." For the first time in this town, I felt like I belonged.

"And I'm Donyen, not little mermaid."

"I know." She leaned in and smothered me with her vanilla scent.

There was a large grin on my face when I got back that evening. Mama Teta leered at me but even that couldn't wipe the grin off my face. I went about cooking Geebee before I was asked to. That day, I didn't grumble when she sent me on errands.

"You have started seeing boys." She stood over me as I bent to stir the soup. It was amusing watching her act this way. She couldn't fathom why I was happy. I continued to stir and took a sip to taste.

"You know all fornicators would go to hell. I have been warning you since you started getting robust. The Bible said that children who do not obey their elders will die young," she rapped.

"I am not following boys."

"I have done my best to teach you the way of the lord...," she whined but I zoned out when she mentioned the Lord.

I was wearied hearing about her god. Everything always seemed to end with death. Lie and he would kill you. Steal and the same fate would befall you. I couldn't imagine serving a god who showed no mercy.

The only thing that gave me joy and peace was my weekly hang out with Jenora at our usual spot. Within a month, I had come to know her as if we had been best friends for ages. She was the only child and her parents were ministers in the modern church in Monrovia, a mile away from Sinoe. Jernora always brought books for me to read as she often said that school is not the only way to education and some days we studied together.

Each time Mama Teta and I went to market, I would see Nora playing with her school friends. I kept wondering if she didn't like my friendship with her anymore knowing that there were so much differences between us. Moreover, her parents were rich while I came from a very poor background. I literally had no background. Probably she was being friends with me out of pity.

"Don," Jernora called. She waved her hands excitedly. "How far?" She drew closer and wrapped her hands around me but I kept to myself. She still had her yellow and black uniform on, though damp from her sweat.

"What took you so long?"

"So that's why you're angry. I'm sorry. I was busy with—"

"School. Yeah, I remember you're a student. Not all of us are that fortunate to go to school and have so many friends," I fumed.

I could have slapped her instead. I had no idea where that came from. I couldn't just imagine sharing Jernora with anyone. No one cared for me like she did.

"Don, I was getting you a birthday present," she threw out, hurt.

She had to be lying to cover up because it was impossible for anyone to know my birthday. "So, where is it?"

Jernora brought out a wrapped box from her school bag and handed it to me. "I had to endlessly probe my parents for the day you were found on this beach."

I unwrapped the box and found a golden chain with my name "Don" on it. A fleet of joy welled up in me.

"This is the first gift I've received from anyone in six years. It's beautiful. Thank you." I took another look at it, unable to stop admiring its glow. I was still dumbfounded. "How were you able to afford it?"

She took it out of the box and placed it around my neck. "My parents gave me the money."

I had to stop forgetting I was the poor friend and other people had money. Nora had it all; Beauty, brains and she came from a rich and loving home. That was something I could only acquire in my dreams.

"Please don't forget to send my gratitude to them." I gave a weak smile.