Chapter 14: SOPURU

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Corinthians 13:4.

Within one year in Nigeria, I started going to school with Jernora, wrote my final exams and got admission into one of the most prestigious universities in Lagos state, The Crown University.

Mr. and Mrs. Peters stood in the middle of our room. They watched Jernora and I unpack our belongings.

"You're going to be late for house fellowship," Jernora murmured impatiently.

"Are you chasing us out of your room?"

"Yes, mum." Jernora playfully she shoved them out of the door but Mrs peters forced her way back in and sat on my bed. "Donyen doesn't want me to go, so I'm not leaving."

Jernora frowned at her like a five-year-old, causing everyone to shake with laughter. Her father placed his hands around her shoulder.

"My little girl is a fresher now." He smiled at her, directing her to her bed. When he took his wife's hands, I knew a lecture was coming up.

Mr Peters kept a straight face. "We are very proud of you girls for having come this far academically. You know you are special, so don't let anyone deceive in school. Don't associate yourself with the wrong set of people and always read your books."

"Make sure you attend fellowship and no boyfriend for now. When you finish with a first class, husband will rush you," Mrs peters seriously added.

The couple often warned Jernora and I about how kids became corrupt the moment they got admitted into universities. Permission to stay on campus came with series of intense pleading since it was just an hour journey from home. They would be disappointed if Jernora and I suddenly came home with boyfriends in our first year. I nodded while Jernora rolled her eyes into her sockets. I wished she could see what was right before her. It was a known fact that she adored her parents but grew distant when advice came. If only she could tell it was out of love.

Mr and Mrs Peters reached for our hands. I knew what this meant. I had become used to this family's way of praying. A day never passed without us coming together to pray like this. Mrs Peters' voice pierced the silence as we bowed our heads. They left us with a couple of prayers.

"Finally, we are alone." Jernora sounded like she had escaped from prison.

"Why are you so excited? It's just school." To me, it was just another new environment that I would never fit into; therefore there was nothing so special or exciting about it. The only good thing about attending secondary school was being with Jernora. I was just a moldy bread in the class unlike Jernora who was the class favorite and the teacher's pet in one year.

"Don't you feel liberated? My parents are no longer hovering over us." She grabbed my shoulders and shook me till they began to hurt. I loosened her grip on my shoulders and shifted away, surprised at her tone. "Ohhh, so your plan is to turn into something else here."

She puffed. "How on earth could you imagine that of me?"

"You were the one acting nonchalant when your mum was advising us."

"You know me better than anyone else. People are always expecting the best from me as pastors' child." She flapped her denim-clad thighs. "I'm just tired of all the pressure."

I understood where she was came from because I had watched her smile and nod every time people reminded her of her background as not just one but two pastors' daughter. Though I was a part of the family, she had always been the one that belled the cat whenever anything went wrong even if it was my fault.

"I am sorry, Nora. I didn't mean it." I tried to sound as convincing as possible. She threw her hands in the air and her voice took an edge I only heard when she had been pushed to her limit. "No. Don't even lie about this." She pointed her fingers at me. "You meant every word of it. What hurts the most is that you know how mature I am spiritually yet you always remember the girl from Liberia with the set of bad friends."