CHAPTER 22: David

"When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you."
-Psalm 56:3.

I was a nervous wreck as I drove past the dark trees just a few kilometers from Kayode's. The sky was getting darker and I had no idea where Sopuru was. Getting to his house, the coward revealed that she came by but he didn't know her whereabouts. My hands itched to find their way to his face once more but I controlled myself. Sighting another girl in his house pissed me off. We had so much pleasure in taking advantages of girls especially freshers,  jumping from one to another and making a boast among our friends how many had fallen for us. I was quite sure I won't be returning to that lifestyle.

It started to rain uncontrollably. Retailers locked up their shops as everyone raced for cover. I tried Sopuru's number for the eleventh time but no response again. Tossing my phone onto the passenger's seat, I continued to search for her. I got Sopuru's number from Jernora after letting her know she wasn't at Kayode's place.  Jenora had called her parents and they were already on their way to school. She reminded me that she was still praying for us with the assurance that God would surely bring her back safely. Each time she mentioned God I really wanted to believe everything she said.

I drove aimlessly when it became obvious that I had lost my way. It was difficult to navigate my surroundings until I got to a large mall in Ikeja. Calling Sopuru again was another failed attempt. I hit my fist against the  steering wheel and let out a curse.

"God!" I yelled into air. "Is this your way of punishing me? I know I'm not worth your love but she is. Sopuru loved you and worshipped you with her whole heart. She doesn't deserve this."

I switched off the engine and rested my head against the wheel. Jernora words resurfaced. "When you need help, call on God." It wouldn't hurt to take a leap of faith.

"God, I'm sorry." I closed my eyes. "I'm sorry for everything that I have done. I need you right now. Please, save her..." My voice cracked and I could sense the tears threatening to spill. "Please, save her for my sake and I promise to believe everything about you. I won't go back to who I used to be. Just this once, Lord. Do this for —

My phone rang, interrupting my prayer. It was Sopuru's number.

"Hello." It was a male voice.

"He-llo," I responded so quickly, trying get my voice back to normal.

"I'm Mr Sola. I saw your number first and I decided to call back."

"Why do you have Sopuru's phone? Where is she?" I couldn't hide my anxiety.

"She is about to jump over the Eko bridge. People are trying to stop her."

"What? Stop her!" I yelled at him.

The noise in the background turned into an uproar.  Suddenly, the man dropped the call. I turned on the ignition and swerved into the driveway, my heart palpitating on the way.

Meeting a long traffic on the bridge, I parked my car and ran towards the crowd that was gathered around the railings. People were yapping about a dark girl, 5'6 who had jumped into the lagoon.

"She committed suicide."

"All these girls of nowadays are exactly the same. I'm sure it's because of a boy."

"She's going straight to hell."

"How can a person take her own life?"

I couldn't take it anymore. I had to see for myself if it was true. I hung over the bridge. All I could see was the turbulent currents of the water. Sopuru was nowhere in sight. My heart threatened to come to a halt as people continued speaking out their minds. The guilt  overwhelmed me as I pleaded with people to help.

Emeregency came but it was too late. No one could save Sopuru now.

People began to clear the bridge but I lingered hopelessly. A part of me couldn't accept this. I knew God didn't bring me here to mourn her. My faith grew and my lips began to move.

"All things are working together for my good."

I didn't know where the sudden burst of energy and the words came from but I didn't want to hinder the flow. I gripped the railings so tight my knuckles hurt.

"I believe that you are with Sopuru wherever she is. I believe she is alive. I believe you will bring her back to me. I believe in you, God."

By the time I stopped speaking, my body shook with fervor and my hands trembled. I could feel something greater than me working. I knew God was working even though I couldn't see it. I held on to that faith as if it was my last meal.

I came back to my car and waited patiently for the traffic to clear out before returning to school. I went back to Jernora's room where I found her with her parents praying fervently for God to save Sopuru.

"Did you find her?" she whispered.

"Yes and no," I said calmly. I greeted her parents before settling in. Jernora introduced me as Donyen's brother who she's been telling them about. Her mother stood up and hugged me while her father walked up to me and shook me warmly. I was so confused on this red-carpet reception.

"My son, what do you mean by yes and no?" Jernora's mum asked.

Taking a deep breath, I told them how someone called on the phone and told me what Sopuru was about to do and how I got there too late.

The atmosphere in the room changed. Sadness and grief filled every heart as tears began to roll from their eyes except Jamora's dad who put on courage, holding his wife from falling.

I thought about what to say to keep their hope alive.

"Although she jumped into the lagoon, yet we can't lose hope. God is with us. I believe God will bring her back to us."

Jernora wiped her tears and stood. "We need to PUSH."

I arched a brow at her, "PUSH?"

"Yes. Pray Until Something Happens." Her father chimed in, his thick voice reverberating in the room. He and his wife were already on their feet with hopeful smiles on their faces.

I don't know how long we had prayed but my limbs didn't hurt and my voice never cracked. With every minute that passed, our voices became louder and our prayers more intense. We stood together in a circle; holding our hands in agreement as we interceded for Sopuru. I felt the warmth of the sun against my face. I squinted as I opened my eyes, the room illuminated from its rays. Jenora's ring tone broke the silence.

"Hello," she answered.

I made a silent prayer that the call had something to do with my sister.

"Yes, I'm Jernora Peters."

For a minute, she held her breath.

"Okay. Thank you! My family and I will be there soon." She dropped the call and squealed. "They've found her! At Marble hospital on the island."

"Praise the Lord!" The shout came from Jernora's mum.

The immerse joy I felt was beyond comprehension.

"Thank you, Lord" was all I could mutter.