00 - Delusion

"Earth is simply the accumulation of time and being."

--

A cool breeze blows in your face as you sit atop a wall near the cathedral. The tune of a bard is carried your way on the wind as he plays in front of the statue of Barbatos. Though no one is around he strums the strings of his lyre softly singing to himself.

You frequently found yourself here. Serenely listening to the calming tune of the bard's playing while sitting along this wall with your back to the cathedral as you aimlessly watch over the view of Mondstadt.

There was a sense of peace that only came from this bard's playing. It felt as if the breeze was fresher and the day could last forever. You've always wanted to compliment his playing, but you weren't one to interrupt his beautiful playing with idle talk.

Despite this, you felt as if he already knew of your gratitude because you'd never leave unless he finished playing. Once he was done he'd disappear as if a breeze carried him away. You found this enchanting.

Though today you stood up early as your stomach growled and you remembered you need to pick up your order before the knights interrupted your schedule. When you stood up and he paused his playing. You looked back at him and he plucked a finishing tune with a smile. You smiled back and he tipped his head, "Good day, Miss Y/n."

"Good day," you respond as you wave a hand and walk past him. Once you begin down the steps to the central part of Mondstadt a thought crosses your mind.

You'd never told that bard your name before. 

Had he heard it from someone else?

The thought stays stuck in your head as you walk down to the marketplace, you cross to Good Hunter and order a few meat skewers to-go before making your usual destination at the Alchemy shop.

"Hey Timaeus," you greet, "is my order ready?" chowing down on a meat skewer, you walk over to the young alchemist at the stand.

"Oh, Y/n!" the brunette greets, "Yes! It is," he moves over and scurries to his bag, rummaging through to pull out two bottles, "Sucrose made it a little stronger this time, she thought if the coolant were more powerful, you'd get fewer sores from using your vision."

"Nice," you say exchanging a bag of mora for the two bottles, "I'll tell her if it works any better."

He smiles and nods, "How are you? Any new work on your delusion?"

You lean on the crafting bench and sigh, "No, I'm almost completely restricted from using it since word had gone around town about it."

"Why does that have any effect on how you use it?" the brunette asks. You smile realizing how out of the loop he was. He and Sucrose are the only few townsfolk that haven't treated you any different after hearing of your delusion. You guessed it was because of their curious nature, being alchemists and all.

"I guess people don't really like the idea of a fabricated power. Just hearing the word 'delusion' makes them think the wielder has some corrupt power," you tell him, "It scares people, y'know?"

"I guess," he responds, "But you've had it for years, nothing's happened yet."

"I know, but still. I guess even time doesn't gain people's trust," you bite into a mushroom on the skewer and chew on it for a bit, "Anyways," you open your satchel and carefully put the two bottles he'd given you inside, "The Knights won't get off my tail about it, I'm to be under their supervision so the public is reassured."

"That sucks."

You laugh, "Tell me about it--"

"Miss Y/n!" you hear a commanding voice call your name.