07 - Lucky One

The sound of running water came from inside Albedo's lab, but when you entered all you saw was the running faucet, "Albedo?" you called, stepping inside, though when you looped around to turn off the run water your stomach dropped.

You inhaled sharply as you instinctively shouted in panic, "Albedo!"

Quickly you kneeled beside him, pulling one of his gloves off to check his wrist for a pulse. When you can't find one you lift your hand, checking for a pulse in his neck. Dread fills your stomach when you can't feel one.

You let out a nervous breath before adjusting his body so he's laying on his back. When done, you hurriedly exit the room for help. Several eyes turn to you when you barge into Jean's office without knocking.

"Y/n?" Jean asks, standing from her seat when she sees your worried face, "What's wrong?"

"Albedo... he's--" everyone's eyes stare at you expectantly, "he's unresponsive."

"What?" Jean asks before rushing over

"Albedo?" Amber's voice was shocked and Lisa and Kaeya simply stared wide-eyed.

"Stay here, you three," she tells them as she grabs you by the wrist. You and her quickly make your way back to the laboratory, you look back noticing Kaeya following behind.

Jean pushes the door of Albedo's lab and it swings open, hitting a shelf behind it. Just as you did, she checks for a pulse, based on her reaction, you can tell she couldn't find one as well.

It was hard to comprehend what was happening. Just yesterday he was with you, alive and healthy, now he's laying on the ground lifelessly before you.

Jean places her hand on his chest before raising it below his nose. After this, she opens a few drawers before pulling out a jar. She opens it and sniffs it before kneeling beside him and tilting it towards his nose.

Almost immediately, as if the life was kicked back into him, Albedo begins coughing wildly. Distastefully, he shoves the jar out of his face as he sits up, waving the fumes away from his face, "You must be mad to wake someone up with flaming flower stamen paste--" he then looks up at the female knight, "Master Jean--" he immediately corrects himself, "Pardon my ignorance, excuse what I just said."

A relief fills the room when you all see the alchemist alive and kicking again. His complete awareness of his surroundings assures Jean he's okay and stands, helping Albedo up, "I guess you're alright then," Jean pinches the bridge of her nose, "You need to stop being found like this, you gave us quite the scare."

"I believe Y/n almost had a heart attack," Kaeya adds, "Two casualties wouldn't have been preferable." You give the pirate a short glare but he ignores you, "Assuming you're alright I believe we can continue our meeting?"

You watch Albedo's face dim slightly when the knight speaks.

Jean nods, "Yes we can," the grandmaster looks at you, "Watch over him, will you?"

You nod and the two of them leave, returning to their usual knightly matters. When the door shuts you look at Albedo with a worried expression, "What happened?"

Albedo leans over the sink washing his mouth with water and a solution that acted much like toothpaste before he answers you a minute later, "I suppose I had a dizzy fit late last night," he wipes his mouth with a towel, "I think it may have been something I ate." He lies.

When he notices your still worried frown he walks over to you, "Y/n, there's nothing to worry about, things like this happen all the time when I'm experimenting. This is nothing special."