22 - Cinnamon

Happy (late) birthday, Albedo my sweet little alchemy boy!!!!

-

Your eyes are set on Albedo's frame as he stands with his back facing toward you. All morning he'd been working in your room, fidgeting with the tools he'd brought in to keep him occupied during his watch over you. Occasionally, he would leave the room without saying anything and come back soon after.

He decided to situate himself in your room in case you needed anything from him. It was overly considerate and you could tell he was trying not to speak to you as if he was trying to respect your personal space.

It bored you to death when you noticed he was silent on purpose. You hadn't asked him to leave you be, but you'd prefer to be alone if he was going to work in silence right in front of you. After a long morning mind-numbing quiet you sit up, shutting your book with a short sigh.

You move to reach for your crutch and the bed creaks under the shift of your weight. The amber crutch rests on the table, just far enough for you to grab, but it clatters to the ground as your finger touches it. You seethe to yourself as it falls further away, turning to get on your knees to pick them up.

Once you move and hold the crutch, a hand grabs your arm, pulling you up to your feet. Your eyes turn up to meet Albedo's briefly before he reaches down to pick up your crutches, "What do you need?"

"I, uhm, nothing," you exchange the crutches from his hand to yours, his hand still holding you by the arm, "I was just going to check what you were doing," you admit.

"You're curious?" he looks back at the table, "Come, I'll show you."

You nod and step forward, wobbling slightly as you adjust yourself to the crutch. A slight whimper leaves you as you wobble.

"Steady," Albedo tells in a comforting tone, "I have you, remember?"

He stands close, his hands hovering over you in case you stumble, you could feel his closeness as the warmth of his breath tickles your ear. You nod slightly, dazzled by how near he is. Step-by-step, he guides you to his work table.

The same amber jewels that he created your crutches out of were scattered across the table. Some crushed, some whole, though, one of them, in particular, caught your eye. You gazed at it, it elegantly shaped into the form of a lotus flower.

"I've been working on creating more intricate geo formations with the use of my vision," he picks up an ordinary-looking oval jewel and ushers you closer. You step just an inch closer and he sits you down on the chair, "Look here," he tells, wiping the dust from the stone and putting it under the light on the table.

The light shining through the crystal reveals a highly intricate glassy interior, within the ordinary-looking gemstone was a carefully carved out shape of a tree, the branches stretched out and the leaves seemed to glitter like stars. "Do you like it?"

You smile, "You created this?" your eyes turn back to look at him, and only then do you notice that both his arms encased you as he held the gem on the table. His face was incredibly close to yours, so close that his soft blonde hair tickles the side of your cheek.

As you gaze at him quietly, catching a whiff of a sweet fragrance.

Baked goods.

You couldn't make out the scent you were smelling, it was sugary yet smelled of fresh spice. A cinnamon aroma. Perhaps the scent of cinnamon rolls or apple fritters.

It was most certainly coming from him, but you would dare ask why he had smelled so nice.

After a moment, his teal eyes meet yours and you snap out of your gaze, clearing your throat. Albedo smiles softly at this, "You know," he starts in a gentle voice, "I wasn't able to tell you at the cathedral, was I?"