17 - Secrets

Another Kaeya + Albedo chapter because I wanted to shove some all plot progression in two chapters, I swear you're coming back next chapter. Hope yall aren't starving

--

The two men found themselves sitting in the alchemist's workshop, discussing what the knight had learned from the victimed fatui agent. 

Though, as Kaeya spoke he could tell the blonde's mind was somewhere else. With a sigh, the knight's words trail off, "It's quite difficult to exchange information with a brick wall," he hums sarcastically, "May I speak to the alchemist?"

Saying this, he finally grabs Albedo's attention. The blonde blinks a few times, shaking his head slightly before looking at Kaeya, "I'm sorry, you were saying?"

Kaeya, although curious, decided against questioning what was going through the blonde's head. It was clear that whatever he'd seen in the cavern earlier was something worth knowing if it was bothering the stoic alchemist this much.

As much as he wanted to know, Kaeya reminded himself that he was on duty, the focus should be on the investigation and not on trivial personal matters the blonde may have. Though, this could've been an excuse to prevent talking about the alchemist's feelings.

"Well," Kaeya begins again, "Your first question, Kreideprinz, regarded the reason as to why they were searching for you," the knight taps a glass jar with his fingernail as he speaks, a chime ringing periodically, "As much as I'd like to give you a solid answer, the person we approached hardly knew anything about the situation. All he knew was that it was 'something about chalk and soil' and you being the 'unlocked secret of alchemic perfection.'"

Albedo patiently looks at the knight as if requesting more information to be shared.

The knight obliges, continuing his explanation, "Only a select few know why they've set out to capture you. Those being the harbingers, captains, and the Tsaritsa herself."

"All of which have clear devotion to the Tsaritsa," Albedo comments.

"Exactly, which means simply asking for information is out of the question," Kaeya says with a sigh. 

The knight leans forward on the table, "I did manage to catch the name of the officials here in Mondstadt. The captain's name is Zanni, along with a harbinger, 'Tartaglia'. Alek mentioned he was just a kid, though I'm sure not just any 'kid' can manage to become a harbinger. We should keep our guard up if we do meet him."

Kaeya glances up at the alchemist to see his face contorted into a scowl, "Did I say something wrong?" the knight questions.

"No." Albedo responds. He turns around to walk over to his alchemy table, pushing down the burning annoyance he had toward your father. He leans forward on it, placing his palms face down onto the surface, "Anything else?"

"Regarding their plan, no," Kaeya tells, flicking the jar again. 

Observing Kaeya's actions, Albedo had come to realize he'd been flicking the jar out of hesitance. He'd been waiting to say something, but it hasn't come out yet.

The alchemist watched, waiting for the knight to come clean about it, "The agent did mention one thing. About one of the recruits."

Kaeya lifts his hand, toying with the string of his eyepatch as he addresses the new topic, "One of the men that were sent for you... had died after the incident. He referred to it being the fault of 'the girl with black fire'. I think we both know that'd be Y/n, but..." Kaeya clears his throat at the unpleasant thought, "She wouldn't have it in her to kill someone, even with a clear motive. Did, perhaps, something else happen?"