21

On the seventh month they made love for the first time.

Nothing warned them what would happen. Neither the singing of the birds, nor strangers giving away roses. No strange customer showed up at Dope Tattoos, and as they walked towards the sushi restaurant no idiot musical started.

They didn't sit at the center table, and they didn't sit at the table they were sitting at when Dinah was with them. In reality, the table they had chosen was among those of the pile that don't make you the center of attention, but doesn't allow them to ignore you completely.

Lauren was wearing a blue shirt and baggy grey pants. Her feet were covered by a pair of sneakers. There was no beanie, no sunglasses, no jacket. The color black was gone. Nor was there an air of superiority on her face.

Still, Camila still saw the unicorn hiding behind her eyes.

"Do you know what month we are in?" The painter asked as she raised her eyebrows and smiled slightly as she put her chin on her hands.

Camila sighed when she saw the bandages on her wrists, which she was used to finding every day. She often wondered when they would disappear, when Lauren would finally agree to help.

Camila also hoped that day would come soon.

"February?" There was confusion in her voice.

"Exactly!" Lauren confirmed with joy "Do you know what that means?"

"That is... February?"

Lauren laughed at this and shook her head slowly.

"The first time we met was in February, Camz" Lauren reminded her, and Camila almost hit her forehead at something so obvious. It was hard for her to be so thoughtful. "I looked incredibly sexy that day, and so did you."

The tattoo artist had images from that day, but none were completely clear in her mind. It's strange, but sometimes we forget the things that really matter.

"I still don't understand why you didn't choose Vero and Lucy's tattoos" Camila murmured as Lauren gave her a smile that only appeared when they were together.

"I told you some time ago, my love: Your tattoos were the only ones that had what I was looking for."

"I think I also asked you what you were looking for."

Lauren lifted one of the corners of her lips and looked at her before caressing her cheek with her hand, which Camila held to leave a kiss on the soft skin of her knuckles.

"I was looking for love" Lauren confessed. "I didn't want the best tattoo in the world, and I didn't want a demon tattoo artist. I needed someone whose works convey as much love as I felt for my grandmother... and I know love and art, Camz. I know how they connect in the strokes, because you can also find love in what I do. I needed a work that was beautiful, delicate, loving and pure enough to decorate my skin."

When Camila looked into her eyes, the typical warmth of affection sheltered her.

"Maybe I needed a pure tattoo artist too."

Camila would have answered this with a nice phrase, but the usual opportune waiter arrived with their order.

The Lauren with whom Camila had had her first date would've ordered him to leave. That Lauren simply thanked him with a false smile.

"I love you" Camila whispered as she watched the painter take a roll of sushi to her mouth.

The painter looked at her with her green eyes and smiled sweetly at this, as did a boy who was just told he didn't have to go to school the next day.