IX

Flashback

"Your Grace, may I present Lady Danbury
and Mr and Miss Basset." The three stepped into the well decorated study.

"this is a most unwelcome intrusion." Their father was an angry man with wrinkles around his face. Josephine would tell her brother that one day he would be stuck with the ugly frown on his face.

"I thought Your Grace might be relieved
to know that your children are alive and well. Your staff seemed somewhat surprised by the fact." Lady Danbury responded with a harsh tone make the twins look at each other.

"What is the point of your visit?" The stoic man sharply questioned.

"am receiving high marks in all of my studies, sir. I ride, and I fence, and I shoot..." Simon looked over to his sister who offered a smile and nod of encouragement, but the scowling eyes of his father bore into the poor boy
"exceptionally well, I am told. I even...
I..." Simon choked out.

"You are my worst failure." Josephine's blood boiled.

"As you are ours." She spat out to everyone's surprise. "You may abandon us and teach us nothing, spit on us and call us worthless but we are still your children." Josephine raised her voice at the man before her.

"You are not my daughter. Not with a mouth like that" lady Danbury scoffed at the Duke. "It is a deep enough wound
to live with the knowledge that you shall one day inherit Hastings, but to witness your struggle is too great an insult. You are as useless as your mother proved to be, so I shall pursue the same recourse
with you as I did with her, to forget that you ever sullied these halls."  Josephine grabbed her brothers hand as the two turned their back on the father who turned first.

*
*
*
*
*
*

This author has often thought the heart a most curious of instruments, heeding neither reason nor rank. For what possible explanation might Miss Bridgerton have for entertaining the suit of a mere baron when she seems to have secured a duke? Or why is Miss Danbury not spending every waking hour with her soon to be husband? Could these debutante's minds not be the only thing amiss? Let it be known, dear reader, that if this bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, then be sure that I shall uncover it, for there is nothing like a trip into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Simon and Josephine had not uttered a word about Lord Berbrookes unfortunate situation since the night prior. They ate breakfast in silence and separated to get ready for the picnic.

"Josephine hurry up or we will be late!" Simon yelled from the hallway.

"How dare you rush beauty Simon!" Josephine laughed as she came out of her room. She unlike her brother was in no rush to get to the lake on time.

"Let is make pace sister please." Simon grabbed her hand practically dragging her out the front door.

"Someone is eager to see Miss Bridgerton." Josephine wiggled her eyebrows as she teased the man.

"Hush sister your chatter is giving me a headache." Simon dramatically placed his hand on his head as they both mounted their horses.

*
*

"You're late" Daphne frowned as the Basset twins rode up.

"Apologies. Should we rejoin your family
at their camp?" Simon and Josephine dismounted their horses passing the reigns to a hand nearby.

"Absolutely not" Daphne responded with quite passion which made Josephine smile.

"Well I will see you both later, if you need me I will be over there." Josephine said smiling at the two as she pointed to the Bridgerton tent. "Simon do bring Daphne back at some point I wish to speak with her." Daphne smiled at Josephine as Simon and her took their leave.

Josephine wandered over to the Bridgertons smiling to herself as she witnessed the two oldest men play with the younger siblings.

"They are still children at heart are they not." Violet Bridgerton laughed as she spoke to Josephine.

The two chartered as the boys continued to amuse themselves. However everyone's attention was caught by a very bruised and beaten Lord Berbrooke as he stormed over to the tent. Simon and Daphne joined them as they say the commotion.

"Bridgerton!" The man announced as she drew closer. Anthony instinctively stood between Josephine, Daphne and the man.
"I bring cheerful news, Bridgertons. I have taken matters in my own hands and sought a special license for my wedding to Miss Bridgerton."

Josephine rolled her eyes. Could this man not disappear? What a headache he instills. Josephine grabbed Daphnes hand and gave it a squeeze in support.

"There is to be no wedding. I told you. The arrangement is canceled." Anthony harshly told the man. The twins glanced at each other.

"Lord Berbrooke, you look in a great deal of pain. Shall we continue this in a more private location?" Violet interrupted trying to soften the tension.

"I require no further conversation. Though, perhaps I am finally speaking
to the true head of the Bridgerton house. For if it were you, I imagine you would have instructed your sister to take better care than to encourage certain attentions while alone with me on the Dark Walk at Vauxhall." Josephine felt sick as Daphne squeezed her hand tighter.
Or perhaps if you where truly a man you would have enough honour to tell the women you love her, or perhaps you are already courting her behind your brothers back? What would someone like, say, Lady Whistledown do with such unseemly information?"

Josephine honestly felt as though she was going to throw up as she saw pain flash over Anthony's eyes.

"Is that a threat?" Anthony taunted as Berbrooke drew closer.

"Because in three days, I am to marry. I have the diamond of the season. I have the very best the ton has to offer. Heaven knows Miss Basset is far to foul.  And I shall save her, as well as your entire family, from the ruin which you could not protect them. I look forward to the union of our great families." Berbrooke announced as we turned and walked away. Josephine and Daphne finally letting go of each other and breathing again.

"I must issue my challenge to Berbrooke straight away." Josephine again felt sick.

"Anthony.." she softly said as the pair made eye contact for a split second.

"I assure you I've been properly trained in the manner." Anthony stated as he broke their gaze.

"You are not to duel with Lord Berbrooke.
Do you understand me? I do not care what kind of training you think you may have. It is illegal, not to mention positively horrific." Violet almost yelled at her eldest son.

"Gentlemen are left with no other choice, Mother. When young women, are rumored to be dishonored, the consequences shall be deadly!" Anthony raised his voice growing clearly frustrated. One last look at the group and Anthony stormed off.

"Anthony wait!" Josephine felt her legs move from underneath her as she ran behind the man. But as she left the tent a hand pulled her back.

"Help him see the right thing Dear please. I fear only you can break his stubbornness." Violet Bridgerton whispered in the girls ear as she pushed Josephine after her son.

*
*
*
*

:)

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think.