XVIII

" I thought you where leaving." Anthony stated rather coldly as he approached Josephine. She had found a corner of the seats so that she could watch people instead of the fight. Her brother had dragged her along, claiming she made him go so why shouldn't she.

"I am, however Will Mondrich is a dear friend of ours so we are here to offer our support. I see your sister is here with the prince. Didn't picture her as the fight type." Josephine rambled, for the first time in her life feeling nervous to speak to the eldest Bridgerton.

"Well I did not peg you as the fight type either, friend or not." Anthony replied as he searched the stands for his sister. "How about we find somewhere to talk?" He suggested out of the blue.

"But you surely hate me, why on earth would you want to talk?" Josephine asked quizzically, for Anthony had completely ignored her their last interaction.

"I could never hate you. Though I am deeply hurt I need an explanation. I deserve an explanation." Anthony's eyes pleaded with Josephine's. "And let's be frank you don't want to be here."

"You are quite right. You do deserve an explanation. And I don't want to be here." Josephine chuckled grabbing Anthony's outstretched hand.

The pair slipped out of the arena to a quiet corner in an alleyway. "This feels awfully scandalous Anthony. Are you sure we're just here to talk?" Josephine teased as she sat on the step outside.

"Why are you leaving?" Anthony was blunt, trying to hide his heart beat at the implication of something other than talking.

"Because we are finished in London." Josephine said plainly.

"No you have many a reason to stay. So I ask you again why are you leaving?" Anthony pushed.

"And I said, my brother and I have no other business here." Josephine danced around the truth.

Stepping closer to Josephine, the two mere inches apart, Anthony again questioned. "If not ever before, I plead you be honest with me now."

Josephine could feel his breath on her cheek and she longed to reach out her hand and cup his face. "Because I am scared. I am scared of us. I am married Anthony, I cannot be unfaithful it is sinful to even discuss!" Josephine pulled away.

"But he was unfaithful! Why should you be bound by this marriage if he is not?!" Anthony grew frustrated.

"I can't." Josephine said softly letting herself be once again drawn closer to the man before her.

"Can't or won't?" Anthony matched her volume. The two stood eyes locked in each others for what felt like hours. The screams and yells from the fight inside suggested it was only seconds, but they where drawn in.

Josephine thought of her Husband and brother. Of her father and how he had controlled her and trapped her in marriage. How society had forever confined her to rules and boxes. She was desperate to be heard, to be loved, to be more than who she was told she had to be. So with one final breath she replied to Anthony's question.

"I should not. But I will." And with that she reached her hand behind his neck pulling him close against her. Their lips locking in a moment that will never be forgotten. They were unified, like two halves and finally found each other.

After minutes, Josephine pulled back for air, winded by the joy she felt. How right the moment felt.

"I will take care of William." Anthony exclaimed rather conspicuously. "A friend owes me a favour. I can...." but before Anthony could finish his sentence Josephine pushed their lips together again.

"Do what ever you need to do Anthony." Josephine said softly as she leaned her head against his. "I have waited my whole life for this moment." The pairs breathing drowning out the fight inside.

"As have I miss Basset. You have no idea."

*
*
*
*
*

You heard it here first folks Anthony's gonna take care of it.

Let me know what you think :)