XX

Josephine and Simon both entered the soirée, with complete intent to stay only a few hours. Both dressed in dark colours that blended in with the night outside, the two stood alone watching the people they had come to know.

From across the room Simon could see Daphne speak with the prince, the pair sharing a conversation. Josephine, similarly watched Anthony as his mother introduced him to a young woman. Josephine felt a pang of jealousy, wishing to be near him, show everyone that he was hers.

Every now and then, Anthony's eyes would flick to hers during the conversation, meeting for a second then returning to the women before him.
After a while the girl left and Anthony went to get a drink. Surprisingly leaving Violet Bridgerton to approach Josephine.

"I am sorry for your loss." Violet said as she stood next to Josephine.

"Thank you Lady Bridgerton." Josephine said rather awkwardly.

"Please sweetheart, Violet. You will always be welcome to call me Violet." Josephine felt honoured that the woman had been so kind to her, just like a mother figure.

"Thank you Violet." Josephine smiled.

"I do have a small question for you, if you don't mind me asking." Violet asked tentatively, wishing for only one answer to the question she was about to ask.

"Do you love him? Daphne just informed me that the Duke and her's relationship was a ruse. I want everyone to be happy." Violets words where hurt, but kind.

"I love him with my whole heart. I always have always will. And between you and me, such a ruse must be formed on the basis of feeling." Josephine smiled as she thought of how much her brother adored Daphne.

"I do think you're right." And with that Violet left her alone wandering off into the crowded hall.

Josephine looked around for her brother noticing that he was absent she then looked for Anthony. As her eyes met his across the room he gestured with his head to the terrace just off the room they where in, leading to the gardens.

"I thought you might like some air." Anthony said as the two stood close, as they where still in the eye of the ton. "Would you fancy a walk in the garden?"

"I do fear it may look rather suggestive, do you not? A couple walking alone at night?" Josephine smiled at the thought of a moment alone.

"I do not care. And if someone asks I was merely supporting my widowed friend." Anthony laughed a little at the lie.

"The man was awful. If he were not I would feel guilty, but I do not wish to know what happened." Josephine said desperate to speak about anything other than her recently deceased husband.

"As you wish Josephine, now a walk?" Anthony held out his hand for her to take and the two strolled down the path into the gardens.

Making it only a few feet in they heard voices shouting close to them. Familiar voices. Walking through the bushes they saw Daphne and Simon in the bushes, to close for Anthony's liking.

"Bastard!" Anthony ran towards the two pulling Daphne off Simon.

"Anthony!" Josephine and Daphne cried in unison.

"You will marry her." Josephine felt the whole situation was completely hypocritical. But nevertheless she stayed quiet.

"We can only hope no one saw you take such liberties, and my sister is saved further mortification. You will marry her!" Anthony continued to yell at Simon.

Josephine felt sick as she knew her brother would say no. She knew that no matter what he wouldn't agree to marrying Daphne, no matter how much he loved her.

"I cannot marry her." Simon choked out looking at Josephine for support. But she did nothing but shake her head looking guiltily at the floor.

"You have defiled her innocence, and now you refuse her hand? I knew you were a rake, Hastings, never thought a villain." Anthony was angrier than when Josephine told him about William. Angrier then when he had yelled at her for leaving him so long ago.

"Anthony!" Josephine exclaimed trying to get his attention.

"I cannot marry her." Simon repeated, hurt crossing Daphnes eyes.

"Then you leave me no choice. I must demand satisfaction." Anthony cried.

"Absolutely not." Josephine said loudly at last drawing the attention of his eyes. Josephine's eyes bore deep into his, pleading for him to find another way.

"A duel? Anthony, you cannot..." Daphne looked between the other three present.

Breaking eye contact with Josephine, Anthony turned to Daphne.  "He dishonors you, sister. He dishonors you and me and the very Bridgerton name. I have misjudged you, indeed. You have duped us both, but I shall not see my sister pay for my own misdeeds. We will settle this as gentlemen."

"CAN WE ALL STOP FOR A SECOND I BEG OF YOU!" Josephine yelled, she was sick of being thrown to the side lines, having the men make the just decisions. "One of you could die! Are you stupid? You would seriously battle and leave Daphne or I without a brother, or a lover? How selfish are you?" Tears welling in her eyes she looked not at Anthony, but at her brother. "Simon?" She choked out, but he looked away.

"I shall see you at dawn." Simon said, stabbing a knife right into Josephine's heart.

"I do not understand. You would rather die than marry me?" Daphne whispered out looking at Simon with just as much hurt that Josephine had.

"We need to go, Daph, before anyone should see us." With one final glance over his shoulder, Anthony led his sister away from the Basset twins. No goodbye.

"Idiot." Josephine said as she stormed away from Simon. "Well don't just stand there! We're going home." Josephine yelled at Simon, trying to hide her tears behind her anger.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Their gonna duel 🤭
Let me know what you think :)