XXIV

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony. It is said that marriage hath in it less of beauty but more of safety than the single life. ...in the name of the Father of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
I now pronounce you man and wife."

Josephine smiled as her brother looked happy for the first time in a while. She couldn't help but glance at Anthony as he too looked joyful, her heart aching slightly. She was happy for the couple, but she was jealous, even given the circumstances they still were together.

The close family and friends present congratulated the pair as they all prepared for the party following. But as they group was leaving Josephine was pulled back by Anthony.

"Spare me a second of your time?" Anthony asked his eyes pleading with hers.

"Of course." Josephine smiled faintly wishing nothing more than to speak with him.

"We haven't spoken since before the duel. And I know that I am to blame. Truly I ask that you only listen to me now." Anthony took Josephine's hands in his.

"I will listen." Josephine felt faint as a wave of emotions drowned her.

"I was scared. So so scared. And sad, angry, distraught. I tried to hide it from my brothers, I tried to act noble but I had to flee. We must have missed each other by mere minutes, but I, foolish as I am thought you would be with your brother that night." Anthony looked as though he might cry any second. "So I ran to someone who would distract me. She is nothing compared to you. This all sounds like an excuse, a rather poor one at that." Anthony looked at the floor letting tears spill from his face.

Josephine's heart broke all over again, seeing him so weak. She whiled the tear from his face with one of her hands, the other still gripped in his.

"I was foolish. Stupid. I should have come to you. And then I saw you in my office fast asleep and I didn't wake you. I couldn't wake you." Anthony finally looked up from the floor and at Josephine's face.

"Why?" Josephine whispered.

"Because I love you too much to say goodbye." Anthony stated.

Josephine thought she couldn't feel anymore pain. Anymore sorrow but as he spoke those words her whole soul broke. She had left so long ago, against her free will, but she hadn't said goodbye. She had planned on leaving London with her brother days ago. And she wasn't going to say goodbye. She couldn't.

"I have hurt you far too many times. You have hurt me once. And yet your apologies are far better than mine ever were." Josephine smiled slightly willing the tears from her own eyes. "I love you Anthony." Her heart raced as he pulled her close, clasping their lips together once again, finally, in perfect harmony.

"Marry me." Anthony exclaimed.

"Anthony.. I am a widow." Josephine whispered leaning her head on his. "What will people think?"

"Who cares! I certainly do not. Neither does you brother or my family. So marry me." Anthony cupped Josephine's face with his hands. They where rough against her skin but she felt safe in them.

"Ok." Josephine smiled.

"Ok?" Anthony questioned making sure Josephine was sure on what she said.

"Yes Anthony! Yes." Josephine laughed as he pulled her in for another kiss, the two loosing themselves in each other. Finally savouring their moment together.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Ok super short little double update!
Just though I'd set up for the wedding party :)
Let me know what you think