XVI

So the Basset twins went their seperate ways to remove themselves from the lives of the ton. Simon first went to Daphne, and Josephine found Benedict Bridgerton in his garden.

"I'm leaving Ben." Josephine said abruptly as soon as she saw the man. Her closest friend since she had arrived, arguably her best friend.

"I'm sorry you what?" Benedict rose from his seat.

"Simons affairs in London are complete and so we are leaving." Josephine lied guiltily.

"Look at me." Benedict whispered at the girl. "You cannot leave. Not while you have so many friends here, a life here, me here. Anthony here." Josephine's heart aches at the mans words as she continued to look anywhere but his eyes. "LOOK AT ME DAMMIT!"

Josephine had never heard Benedict raise his voice before. never. It was a horrible feeling, similar to the one she felt when her father would raise his voice. Timidly her eyes met his.

"I'm sorry but it's done. I cannot... will not stay here." Josephine staid stubbornly.

"After all we have done? Our friendship means so little to you that you can just walk away?" Josephine felt herself begin to tear up. She had to make a clean break, let Benedict move on.

"Our friendship meant nothing to me, so I can leave it behind. I'm leaving Benedict." Josephine whispered watching the man tear up. Turning away unable to face the pain she had instilled in her closest friend she was met with her worst fear.

"You're leaving." Anthony exclaimed frozen, unable to breath. As Josephine rushed forward he turned running off into the house.

"Anthony stop! I must explain!" Josephine cried after him.

"You do not deserve to speak to him, ever again. He may be a pain and a drag but I have watched you hurt him too many times to let you do it again." Benedict words where a slap in the face, but Josephine knew she deserved it. "Go on run away like you always did. Like you always do."

*
*
*
*
*

Josephine rushed up the stairs to her room, hearing her brother tell the staff that they would be vacating London as soon as possible. Her whole body shook as she sunk against her door.

"Josephine let me in." Her maid Anna knocked against the door.

"Leave me be Anna." Josephine chocked out between sobs as she broke down.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Siena Rosso hadn't heard from Anthony Bridgerton in a while. Since he left her she had heard rumours of him courting  Josephine Basset, and she was jealous of the girl to say the least. And yet here he was standing at her door step, eyes dry from tears.

"To what do I owe this unexpected visit?" Siena commented rather snarky as she turned.

" I wanted to see you." Anthony said walking closer to her.

"What is it this time? A ball you wish not to attend? A family obligation you prefer to avoid? A woman you wish to forget What, perchance, is the Viscount Bridgerton seeking to escape tonight?" She snapped stepping towards him.
"Surprising as it may be to you, I do not sit here merely waiting for your visits. I have plans of my own to attend."

"With the duke?" Anthony snapped back equally as riled up.

"My affairs are no longer your concern, sir, as you have already made abundantly clear." The pair grew dangerously close to each other, caught in the heat of the argument.

"If you are using Hastings in some scheme to vex me, Siena..." Anthony interjected.

"Just as you are using his sister? Well, he is certainly a handsome man of great wealth and high rank, everything a woman in my position might want." Anthony's heart panged as he thought of Josephine.

"The duke has not called on me. And I am not consorting with any friend of yours.
Though I must say,it is not surprising in the least to know that you are only here
because you are jealous." Siena continued to push Anthony.

"I'm not here because I'm jealous." Anthony exclaimed.

"You're right you are here because she broke your heart. Just as you broke mine. Good night my lord." Siena moved to push Anthony away.

Anthony was determined to burry his emotions away. Anything he felt for Josephine he must bury deep. "I am here because I miss you! I cannot think of anything else, Siena. Come back to me." He desperately pleaded with the woman.

"Your position in life remains unchanged.
And so, too, does mine. You are the viscount. Your responsibility will always be to that title, above all else. You shall marry the sister of a Duke, sire an heir,
and guard your family. And I... I shall always be the woman you may love in darkness..." Siena knew that was their destiny.

"You have made me promises before, and I, like a fool, believed them. I cannot be your fool again." And with that Anthony  left alone, desperate to find someone to heal his heart, at least for a moment.

*
*
*
*
*
*

"Will you be joining us at tonight's ball, Anthony?" Violet Bridgerton questioned her son, whom had been hiding from his family all day.

"I have accepted the invitation." He said bluntly, not going unnoticed but Benedict.

"Perhaps you might cast your eye over this list before the event, then." Violet handed it over to him. "A welcomed distraction from Miss Basset. These are names. Fourteen, to be exact. Fourteen single, eligible young ladies, all from excellent families. Lady Leeworth's eldest miss is..." With the mention of Josephine Anthony cut his mother off.

"I shall consider your suggestions. Thank you." Anthony said swiftly as he exited the room as fast as possible.

"That woman has been the worst and best thing to happen to this family." Violet exclaimed to no one in particular.

"The worst." Benedict stated as he stood and followed Anthony out of the room.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Could it be true? The season's diamond even more precious and rare a stone than previously thought? For it now appears this treasure is set to join the likes of the queen's ever-so-cherished crown jewels themselves. The Duke of Hastings, I hear,
was left looking rather tongue-tied last night, as Miss Bridgerton seems to have finally grown tired of waiting for him to pose that all-important question. Or, perhaps, the young miss has simply traded up. Surprising? Quite. Unreasonable? Of course not. After all, why settle for a duke when one can have a prince? And let us not forget that Miss Basset did not attend the evening at all. Much to the disappointment of her husband. Perhaps the Basset twins are having a disagreement? Well that is for them to know. And me to find out.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Double update!!! Double update!!! Ah I love a good double update

Tell me what you think I love reading your comments :)