XIX

"Perhaps one day the two of us will be able to laugh at all this?" Anthony questioned Simon as the two sat in the club.

"Perhaps. Are you to tell me you're sorry to see me go?" Simon smirked looking up at Anthony. He thought it best not to bring up Josephine for as far as he knew the pair where not speaking anymore.

"We should not have to go that far, should we?" Anthony joked and the two chuckled, sharing a normal moment in the middle of what had been a whirlwind.

"Lord Bridgerton." The prince interrupted  the friends. Simon grew agitated as he heard the man. "I was told you would be here. Might we have a word?" Anthony stood turning apologetically to Simon.

"Certainly. Apologies Hastings but I must go take care of some business. Will you be attending tonight?" Anthony questioned wether this would be the last time he would see the man.

"Yes my sister wishes to go to one more dance." Simon chuckled. Unbeknownst to him Anthony was the exact reason Josephine wished to attend.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Anthony Bridgerton rushed home with the news of the Princes intent to propose to his sister. But not before making a stop in at Henry Granville's place of residence.
Knocking twice on the door he was met with the painter.

"Mister Bridgerton, I was not expecting to see you here. Rather probably your brother." Henry replied ushering Anthony to enter.

"I apologise for my abrupt visit but I need to discuss an important matter with you." Anthony peered around the house noticing one of Josephine's paintings on the wall.

"She is very talented. Maybe even more so than me. Don't tell her I told you that." My Granville chuckled as the two admired the painting.

"It is about her. Josephine I mean." Anthony was pulled out of the trance, turning to the painter before him.

"I know." Henry replied matter of factly.

"I'm sorry you know?" Anthony was confused having barely spoken to the painter.

"She fled to me after what happened with William. She stayed with my wife and I for a month. I hate the man." Henry replied, reading Anthony's mind.

"If you don't mind me saying, you seem like the type of man who would know someone. Someone who could fix our William situation." Anthony said coyly.

"I take no offence Mr Bridgerton. I do know many people." Henry was intrigued.
"I want Josephine to be happy she deserves the world."

"As do I." Anthony smiled as he though of her.

"Then you needn't say any more I will make sure Mr Cook is out of the picture." Henry replied as he ushered Anthony to the door.

"Thank you." Anthony bid the man goodbye.

*
*
*
*
*
*

"I would tell you it's been lovely spending all this time with you, You two, but I tend to leave such sycophantic behavior
for the rest of the ton." Lady Danbury stood with the twins in the foyer.

"I shall miss you, too, Lady Danbury." Josephine smiled clasping her hand in the older woman's.

"Are you going to tell me where you will go? This time, that is." Josephine looked to her brother.

"I am still considering, but... It does not really matter, does it?" Simon responded, the questioned pointed more at his sister than Lady Danbury.

"I am sure you will abscond to some remote corner of the world and continue to do what you have always done." The woman looked between the confused twins.

"The young people I have always taken pride in raising, well... I would have expected more. More discernment, more understanding, more appreciation." Josephine felt guilt as the woman's stern words hit a little to close to home.

"Lady Danbury..." Simon interjected.

"You allowed that young lady to slip through your fingers as if it were nothing.
I understand that you believe such subjects as love and devotion, affection and attachment, you find it all trite and frivolous. And you have taught your sister that that is the only way."

Lady Danbury continued,  "But have you any idea those very things are precisely what have allowed a new day to begin to dawn in this society? Look at our queen.
Look at our king. Look at their marriage.
Look at everything it is doing for us, allowing us to become. We were two separate societies, divided by colour, until a king fell in love with one of us. Love, Your Grace... and your sisters love for you and Mr Bridgerton... conquers all."

"I am sorry, Lady Danbury, we are in disagreement here. Love changes nothing.
Our ship departs at quarter past nine.
I will write to you..." Simon began to say before he was interrupted by a servant entering.

"Apologies your grace for the interruption but I bring awful news." The man exclaimed drawing the attention of the three.

"Well out with it!" Lady Danbury exclaimed.

"I am sorry Miss Basset but William Cook is dead."

*
*
*
*
*
*

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soiree promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Trowbridge. Some may call her celebrations too provocative,and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes. Speaking of recent widows I send by condolences to our Josephine Basset, who's husband was found, drowned in the lake. Some say suicide but you never do know these days. I urge all tonight to be aware and safe  for one scandalous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Oop he dead for real this time
Let me know what you think ;)