XXVIII

"You should talk to him." Josephine sighed as she rested her head on Anthony's shoulder. "He needs you right now." Josephine could see him fighting the urge to be stubborn, but he also know she was right.

"When did you grow to be so wise?" Anthony chuckled as she pushed a star hair behind Josephine's ear.

"After the tea I drank yesterday. I think your mother put something in it." Josephine giggled letting go of Anthony's shoulders and stretching out on the bed.

"She may have, I wouldn't put it past her." Anthony joined in her smile, rising from the bed to dress.

"Must we get up." Josephine groaned like a child, pulling herself up.

"Yes, things to do, people to see." Anthony put on a funny accent as he slips into his pants.

"The only thing I must do today is eat. And the only people I have to see is Benedict, for I haven't seen him in a while." Josephine said nonchalantly.

"I fear one day you will leave me for Benedict." Anthony laughed smacking Josephine with his jacket before placing it over his shoulders.

"Oh but I have already left you for him. We've been together for months." Josephine whispered laughing as she finished the last button on her dress and wandered out the door.

*
*
*
*
*

"Well good morning Josie."  Benedict smiled as Josephine made her way into the dining room of the Bridgerton household.

"Hello Benny boy how are you this fine morning?" Josephine smiled widely and her best friend, skipping down the stairs.
She had been feeling really good lately. Sure she misses Simon but her and Anthony were travelling well and she had been completely accepted as a member of the Bridgerton household.

"You are very chipper this morning, might we take a stroll to Granville's home? I believe I left some paint supplies there." Benedict wiggles his eyebrows holding out his arm for Josephine to take.

"Now now, I have no wish to know what you two get up too at those parties, paint supplies?" Josephine teased questioning Benedict's real reason to visit Henry.

"Genuinely paint supplies Josephine. Honestly." Benedict rolled his eyes.

"Okay well let's make it quick! Off you pop." Josephine giggled pushing Benedict out the front door.

"Where are you two going?" Eloise laughed at Josephine's attempt to push Benedict, her arms bending against him firm frame.

"Going to Granville's, we'll be back in a minute El, we can do some painting." Josephine exclaimed excitedly as Benedict finally gave in and began walking out into the front garden.
Running into a hurried looking Penelope Featherington.

"Hello Pen, are you quite alright?" Josephine looked at the frazzled girl.

"I am going to see Colin. I have something important to tell him." Penelope looked like a woman on a mission, and Josephine wasn't sure whether she should be worried for Colin or Penelope.

"Well are you alright though? You might take a minute to collect your thoughts." Josephine held the girls hands trying to calm her down.

"Josie I'll just go, I'll be back in a few anyway and Penelope needs you." Benedict smiled at Josephine as she noises her head.

"Now would you like me to come with you?" Josephine asked Penelope, assuming she was about to confess her love for Colin.

"I mean you shall find out sooner or later. So you may as well." Penelope said rather curtly. "... and I would like the support."

"Of course Pen." Josephine smiled letting go of her hands as the two re-entered the Bridgerton household and knocked on coming door.

"Colin? Might I have a word?" Penelope was rather timid and Josephine couldn't help but smiled kindly as the confused Colin.

"Pen, of course." Colin furrowed his eyebrows in confusion throwing a look over his shoulder and Josephine, while escorting Penelope in.

"It... is a rather delicate matter. I wish I did not have cause to raise it, but I believe you deserve to know." Penelope began. Not the exact words Josephine would use but she wasn't about to but in.

"I have wanted to talk to you since the engagement was announced..." Penelope continued having trouble meeting Colin's eyes. Josephine stood awkwardly in the corner near the door as the pair spoke.

"So, this is something about Marina?" Colin asked. At her name Josephine could see Penelope tense. This must have been so hard for her.

"Her heart belongs to another." Penelope spat out. Josephine shot up alert at what she had just said. Not how she thought this was going to go.

"What?!" Josephine and Colin exclaimed in unison.

"His name is Sir George Crane. He is a first son, a soldier. They grew up in neighboring properties in the country.
I am sorry, but I have seen their love letters. I felt you should know before it was too late." Josephine wasn't sure if Penelope was saying all this just so Colin would leave Marina. But she seemed like such a sweet girl.

Colin glanced at Josephine who gave him a confused shrug and a nod to say something.

"You really are very good. You know that?
Did you think that I would care that she had fond feelings for another before we met? It would be rich of me, considering I have flirted with half the girls in London
at one point." Fair point Colin, Josephine thought, but something in her gut told her this wasn't over.

"You misunderstand. This was no mere flirtation. Marina loves this man. She loves him still." Josephine was getting a little sick of Penelope, could she not let the two be happy?

"And yet Marina is marrying Colin!" Josephine interrupted earning a smile of appreciation from the Bridgerton boy.

"Trust me, Pen, do not fret. I know my mind and Marina's. We understand each other." Colin stood his ground, and before the two could continue the trio was interrupted by none other that Marina Thompson herself.

"Penelope let's go." Josephine took Penelope's arm pulling her away from Colin and Marina.

"What is going on?" Josephine forcefully whispered, so as to not draw attention to them.

"I just thought Colin should know about Marina!" Penelope defended.

"It is not your place to comment on such things Pen, you know better than that." Josephine frowned. "Jealousy doesn't look good on you."

Penelope looked like a puppy that had been scolded, and Josephine thought that maybe she had been to harsh.

"Pen I'm sorry." Josephine held her hands as Penelope began to cry. "Let's go outside." Josephine led Penelope to a bench along the house wall.

"Now talk to me." Josephine said calmly once Penelope had stopped crying.

"I love him." Penelope admitted.

"I know you do." Josephine smiled kindly at the girl.

"But he will never love me back. God you are so lucky you have everything! I mean you are the prettiest, prettier than Daphne, and you are clever and kind and funny and I just don't understand how you got so lucky!" Penelope was raising her voice getting worked up.

"Pen try to breath." Josephine exclaimed.

"No I won't breath! I'm sick of being second best, of being ignored. That's why I write Lady Whistledown. So I can be noticed! But still here I am crying on a garden bench as the man I've loved for years marries some farm girl! What have I done to deserve this." Penelope ended her spiel with a huff.

"Penelope." Josephine whispered in awe. "You're Lady Whistledown?"

*
*
*
*

Well that's a bit of a yikes for Penelope!
I know some of these scenes are set in weird places but it just fits with the story flow :)

These are still unedited so if there are mistakes I apologise.

Let me know what you think and your favourite relationship so far!