XIII

Josephine and Simon walked arm in arm into the room, scanning for familiar faces. Simon at once saw Daphne and with a squeeze of her hand left Josephine. Luckily as she stood awkwardly by the door a familiar face approached.

"Henry! I did not expect to see you here." Josephine smiled as she was greeted by Henry Granville.

"Well Josephine I heard you were participating this season so I just had to show my interest!" Mr Granville mused as humour laced his tone.

"A charmer as always Henry even when married." Josephine laughed and took his hand as he led her to the dance floor. The pair danced and as the song finished they spotted Lady Danbury in the corner.

"Shall we say hello?" Josephine questioned as she gestured for Henry to lead the way. As the pair approached, Josephine noticed Benedict Bridgerton peering up at a painting on the wall.

"One of yours?" Josephine whispered to Henry and was impressed as he nodded. She always admired his work, always so detailed and deep.

"It's much too cold. Where's any sense of the subject's spirit? And the light! Given the quality, I do wonder why the piece was not skyed with the other daubs." Josephine tried to hold back a giggle as Benedict ranted on about the work.

"Perhaps we should ask the artist." Lady Danbury suggested as she noticed the pair approaching.

"That would be something, Lady Danbury." Benedict stated gazing back up at the painting.

"Mm... Mr. Granville, why was your piece not skyed?" Josephine asked as she turned to her artist friend.

"Hmm, and excellent question Josephine, If you will excuse me, um, I must find my wife." Henry bid the group farewell as she went off. Josephine smiled having missed the painters company. They would have to paint together soon.

"You diabolical... How could you let me rattle on like that?" Benedict's cheeks were red as he turned to the two woman who had fooled him.

"How could I not, my dear Mr. Bridgerton?" Lady Danbury mused.

"It was riotously funny, you must admit." Josephine said laughing. As lady Danbury wandered off Benedict and Josephine finally got a chance to talk.

"I have news." Josephine said excitedly as she grabbed Benedict's arm. "My brother has revoked his arrangement as he knows we are unhappy." Josephine smiles at the Bridgerton man.

"Of thank god for that I was not sure how much longer Anthony and I could avoid each other." Benedict sighed with relief knowing that the arrangement had put a strain on the brothers relationship.

"Anthony has seemed to appear in conversation a lot recently." Josephine stated as she thought why that might be.

"Well I do believe you promised me you would dance with him." Benedict reminded Josephine of their prior conversations. "How fitting here he is now! Anthony!" Benedict called a flustered looking Anthony over.

"Thank god! Josephine I have been looking for you everywhere." Anthony spat, clearly out of breath.

Simon closely followed behind, "Josephine! We have a problem." Simon sounded worried.

"What is going on?" Josephine said alarmed as how concerned the pair of men looked.

"William is here." Anthony said.

"Like William, William?" Josephine felt bile rise in her throat.

"William is here right now. We have to go." Simon confirmed as he practically yanked his sister from Benedict.

Anthony Bridgerton and the Basset twins swiftly walked towards the front entrance, eager to escape when they were intercepted.

"Josephine! I have been looking for you."

*
*
*
*
*
*

Oh no, maybe it's his ghost?
I mean or a zombie? Should I turn this into a Bridgerton meets walking dead?
Jk

Short double update cause I gotta set up for a big chapter :)

Let me know what you think!