XXIII

Josephine headed straight for bed when she had returned home. Her head still pounding from the fall, but the grazes on her knees taken care of. She slept for what felt like hours, and once the sun was high int the sky she decided to take stroll down the Main Street.

Getting halfway down, passing houses and shops she stopped surprised as she saw two people conversing. Anthony spoke with Madame Delacroix the modiste. However Josephine knew it was also Siena Ruso's place of residence.

Her anger boiled once more, after being filled by pure exhaustion. How could he run to Siena. How dare he run to her. Scared she would say something stupid or do something unladylike she continued down the street keeping her eye sight away from the pair in the doorway.

*
*
*
*
*
*

"Apologies for my tardiness."  Anthony Bridgerton rushed into the room exclaiming to Simon.

"Not at all." Simon said curtly, tension still hanging in the air. "The archbishop is yet to arrive."

"We should discuss Daphne's dowry." Anthony suggested thinking of something to break the silence.

"There is nothing to discuss. I will not accept one." Simon shut Anthony down.

"I beg your pardon?" Anthony was confused to say the least. This whole ordeal and marriage was rather wild.

"I need not be paid to marry Daphne.
It is an insulting custom in my judgment.
You may place the money in trust for her,
but you need not harbor any doubts
of my intention to support your sister.
Her well-being is my responsibility now.
I take that duty with the utmost seriousness." Simon was curt but noble, explaining his intentions to the viscount.

"I must apologize for, uh... well..." Anthony stuttered looking guiltily at the floor.

"For shooting at me? For almost killing my sister? For breaking her heart?" Simon said while remaining motionless and stoic.

"You have always been a terrible shot.
You'd have stood a greater chance of wounding me if you had simply fired straight up in the air." Simon said relaxing slightly. "However my sister is as stubborn as me. I'm not sure what you have done this time Anthony but you must fix that yourself." Anthony nodded in agreement.

*
*
*
*
*

The next day Josephine was awoken by her maid Anna. She had be oversleeping recently, trying to escape her sorrowful life outside her bed. Her brother was in disarray about the marriage, Lady Danbury wasn't helping with the pressure, and Anthony was a ever looming nightmare.

"Good morning! The duke is at the Mondrich household after a rather long night I am told. I informed them you would be joining them so up you get." Anna was oddly chipper this morning, which made Josephine agitated. She was definitely not a morning person, far from it, and see others so energetic so early made her annoyed.

*

"Why must everything be so bright?" Josephine giggled as she watched her brother roll over in the small cot he lay in.

"It is called "day" for a reason." She teased as he rose frowning.

"Charcoal and oil will soak up everything in your gut." Alice shoved the plate of smelly food in front of Simon, and Josephine couldn't help but turn her nose up in disgust. "Eat."

"If I am, in fact, to marry... I would like the both of you to be present." Simon stated rather out of the blue.

""If"? He seems to believe there is a way out of this." Will commented making Josephine tense slightly.

"We would be honored to attend." Alice responded kindly looking between the basset twins. "Have you told the duke
about your exhibition series business?"

"Alice..." Will objected. Alice Mondrich always had been a straight shooter and Josephine loved that about her. Straight to the point, always.

"Will is seeking more investors for a series of matches. Perhaps, Your Grace, you and your future brother-in-law might be interested in investing?" Alice statuses bluntly.

"The viscount certainly owes you something after shooting at you and..." Alice's eyes flicked to Josephine's before choosing to cut her comment short.

"Go on Alice, be straight. Never stopped you before." Josephine smiled weakly urging her friend to not change her behaviour on her behalf.

"And broke Josephine's heart." Alice said avoiding eye contact with the woman.

"I am fine. You all need to stop treating me like some frail doll. I have never been weak." Josephine was telling herself this more than the others in the room. The truth was Anthony had shattered her heart into millions of pieces. He might have died that morning. And she wouldn't have said goodbye. He honestly might as well have shot her, than she would not have to live in a world without him in it.

"Whatever you say dear, I'm just saying the Viscount owes you both a lot!" Alice said swift moving on, although everyone in the room knew Josephine was far from fine.

"Alice!" Will again objected.

"What? I am sure His Grace understands
the basic tenets of marriage, or at least he will. Everything you know, I know. And everything I know... Well, you eventually catch up." Alice joked as the Mondrich children ran around the table.

"Pay her no mind. That's what I do." Will laughed along with her.

*

"I'm going to appeal before the queen." Simon said to his sister as they walked together.

"And what will you say?" Josephine asked knowing that appealing a marriage as complicated as Daphne and Simons would be interesting.

"I'm not too sure. You know the queen quite well what should I say?" Simon was curious to hear her point of view on it.

"Charlotte is a straightforward Lady, not unlike Alice. Be honest and sincere and you will be granted your certificate." Josephine was sure of it. Any sane person who saw the love Simon held, could never deny him the opportunity of marriage.

"When did you grow to be so wise?" Simon smiled fondly at his sister.

"When you are denied love over and over again, you learn that when it flicks it's hands near you, you grab them. You hold on as tight as you can, and you fight." Josephine stated to her brother, realising that she too had to fight. She had to hold on. She couldn't just let him go.

*
*
*
*
*

Hello! I just started back at school so everything is a little hectic :/
But I will try to update as frequently as possible :)
Let me know what you think!