Sapphire Simps

Song: ChiruChiru (English cover) by KIRA and Rachie

Lyrics:

The more I know

The more it is killing me

Yet I can't help but

Still be curious

These small quiet prayers

The same old tragic patterns

But this love I seek

Seems to be out of reach

Scar knew that going back to the Vexes was dangerous. The magic they used was unstable, and it had hurt him and Cub when they had tried it. It was how he got his scar. They finally gave it up in Season 7, and it was like a huge weight was lifted off of their shoulders.

Scar turned to magic crystals, which was a more passive form of magic. And he hadn't had any problems with it yet, so he kept using it. As apposed to whenever he used Vex magic, which sent a spike of pain running through his body everytime he attempted to wield it. It was like the magic refused to let him control it.

And, for a while, things were okay magic-wise.

Then, one day, the Vex appeared.

Scar was doing his building in Aqua Town. He wasn't using the magic crystals as much as he used to, but today, he'd brought out the Earth one to lift him up so he could work on the roof. The plant it left behind just added to the beauty of this part of the Shopping District, though he knew if he wanted it gone it would retreat back into the ground.

As he placed the final touches on the detailing of the roof, he held the lime green Earth crystal in his spare hand, coaxing the plant gently so it would let him down. He stroked the leaves of the plant as it lowered, silently thanking it as it went back into the earth below, ready for when he needed it again.

That's when he heard the familiar screeching of a Vex. He hadn't heard that sound for a long time, but he still knew it well.

He turned around to see the Vex hovering there, seemingly appearing out of nowhere.

Vexes didn't speak. But, in a way, Scar could still understand their screeches and body language. It was a skill he picked up when he was using their magic. He was a bit disappointed he hadn't lost the skill. He didn't need another reminder of what things used to be like.

Right now, the Vex was fixing him with what was almost a judgmental gaze. It looked at the crystal still in Scar's hand and cocked its head. You really did abandon us, it seemed to say.

Scar almost felt bad for them...but he knew that Vex magic would never bring anything good. He simply took out his sword to scare it away, which worked. They looked back one more time at Scar, and the emotion was clear: Disappointment.

But, if the Vexes were back, then he would have to go warn Cub.

Scar took off, Aqua Town forgotten, then went to find Cub over in his pyramid. He entered the massive sandstone structure, calling for Cub. "Cub! Cuuub? Where are you, I need to talk to you?"

Then, he heard a faint screech that made his heart momentarily stop. The screech of a Vex. He'd just heard it; he would know it anywhere.

He looked around for a bit longer...until he entered the main room and saw his friend talking to a Vex. Just like how he had been. Cub was also giving off a faint blue glow. The glow of Vex magic.

He promised he wouldn't use it again...

Scar was in shock that Cub had once more decided to use Vex magic.

But why? Why did he choose to go back? Hadn't they learned the first time

Curiosity really does kill the cat. Scar stayed quiet and continued to watch. To see why would Cub even do this.

Something about his blank stare was a little bit discerning. His body floated about, swerving in the air underneath the control of an inhuman being, his form likely about as light as a vex, given their current circumstances. But there was nothing there to give away why he had even done this.

The plastered smile on his face sent chills down Scar's spine. He reached out his hand, palm up, almost asking for him to hold it. His head was tilted slightly, and his eyes were almost pleasing. "Please. Come back to us..."

His eyes were clouded, almost a little bit lost, and Scar could feel his own eyes begin to widen as the weight of the situation dawned upon him in a moment of distress.

"T-this isn't you, Cub."

His glare seemed to fill with fury, that crooked smile only widening while a cold wind seemed to wrap around his arm, forcing it in place.

"Come back to us, Scar..."

It was the exact same thing he'd said to Cub. He tried to break free of the odd wind, but every time he tried to run off, there would be another draft that would coat around a body part, holding it still. Trapping him.

The Vex fixed their gaze on Scar, too, their smile unnerving. Come on back, they seemed to say. You know you want to.

Scar wanted to shout, to say that he didn't. And it was true...right? He didn't want anything to do with the Vex anymore. It had been enough the first time.

So...why had Cub joined them again? Had he been pressured into it? Had the Vex forced him to join?

Or...had he joined voluntarily?

Whatever it was, the Vex was using Cub against Scar. They wanted him back. Both of them. For whatever reason. Scar didn't want to know. But...

If he rejoined...maybe he could snap Cub out of it. Then they'd both be free again. And that was the only option he wanted...even if it did mean he was turning back to the magic he'd sworn off all those years ago.

"...Fine. I'll join you."

Score: 9.5