chapter 2 : mabel

Eloise exhaled a breath of smoke as she took another puff of her cigarette.

She was sitting on the swings in the backyard, hoping for some sort of clarity only this kind of peace at night could provide.

She took another puff and coughed, wondering why she even bothered smoking, considering she didn't even like it.

Truth was, she just wanted to further distance herself from those haughty girls of society.

She knew someone like Daphne would never dare touch a cigarette and that gave Eloise the push to do just the opposite.

Eloise was rattled in her thoughts, when she heard footsteps coming from the house.

She crossed her fingers, and prayed it wasn't her mother.

"I see you're still keeping up the habit" said the voice.

It was her brother Benedict, who walked over and took a seat on the swing beside her.

"Well, what can I say? It's a habit I simply can't quit" Eloise smirked.

"I don't blame you" Benedict chuckled as he took the cigarette from her hands and brought it to his mouth,

Eloise often felt close to her brother Benedict, closer to him than Daphne actually.

There was something about Anthony and Daphne, the first born male and female that made them so high-strung and attached to society's expectations.

When Eloise talked to Benedict, she felt he could understand her when she expressed her frustrations of being a woman in this society, and at the least, he didn't judge her for thinking them in the first place.

"Eloise, what are you doing out here for the third night in a row? Hiding from mama again?"

Eloise sighed, thinking about how horrid these last few weeks were.

Lately, all her mother, Violet, wanted to do was to take Eloise to the modiste in preparation for next year's season.

If they weren't at the modiste, her mother was practically forcing her to practice the pianoforte or do cross-stitching.

It was unbearable for Eloise to take part in such things as it was for her mother who had to hear Eloise complain and groan every moment she was ripped away from her quill and paper.

"Yes, in fact, I am hiding. The last thing I want to do right now is think about going to a ball and trying on another dress" Eloise groaned, not wanting to think anymore about how awful her life was at the moment.

"Aren't you the least bit excited to take part in the upcoming season?"

"Benedict, it was truly exhausting just watching Daphne, seeing her play pretend, dancing around as everyone watches, having suitors come courting to our house every morning. I never want to think about doing it myself."

Benedict gave her a questioning look, as he handed back the cigarette.

"Well, of course, you wouldn't understand" grumbled, seeing the look on her brother's face.

"You're a man. And in this society, that practically means all you have to do is have a title and you're set for life. You can go to university, travel the world, have a real job. Women do not have the luxury of even thinking about it! All women are expected to do is marry and bear children!"

"Eloise, as a man, I understand what you're saying, but I am also your brother. And as your brother, I'm telling you, you have nothing to worry about. I know you're just feeling scared about the season. But, you're a wonderful girl and I know you will find a suitable match."