chapter 33 : you should be angry

"Hi," Amelia smiled as he opened the door.

"Hi," he said back, returning the smile but she could see from the lines across his face, he was clearly worn out.

He pulled her in, bringing her right in front of him."What are you doing here? Missed me already huh?" he asked with a lazy grin.

He kissed her forehead and Amelia grinned, "you could say that." She gulped as she placed her effects on the coffee table, thinking very carefully about her next words. If she chose wrong, she'd end up missing him for much much longer.

"Come sit." He led her to the drawing room where she could see the remnants of their previous chess game. Paperwork lay carelessly all over the couches, he was working on something important before she interrupted. She felt bad and thought about going home and trying this another night, but she knew it was now or never.

He took her hand and sat her down on the couch.

Amelia breathed in, "Anthony-"

"Is everything okay? Didn't we say goodnight only mere hours ago?" He was puzzled but his face carried more amusement than confusion.

"Y-yes, everything's is, uh it's fine," Amelia squirmed in her seat attempting to find the right words to say.

"Look," he laughed; he always loved seeing her fluster in his presence. "It's fine Amelia. If you want to spend the night, you can."

"What? No, uh that's not what I'm here for," she chuckled awkwardly. He obviously had a different idea of where this conversation was going. "I have to tell you something. Something serious.."

He didn't say anything but he silently urged her to continue. "When I arrived home tonight, Rosalie received a letter from Emmett. In a few days, she's heading back home to be with him. They are to be wed."

"Oh, that's good news isn't it?" he spoke. He still didn't see what she was building up to.

Amelia closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. She opened them once more, trying her best not to wince, "she wants me to come with her."

"Oh," he croaked. This time he understood the reason for her severity. He leaned back into the couch and crossed his arms. Amelia searched his face for a reaction, but couldn't find any. He cleared his throat,"do you want to go?"

"I don't know. I- I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet."

He shrugged his shoulders, "I think you should do whatever you think best. If she wants you to go, then maybe you should."

Amelia squinted her eyes, trying to read his body language. Why didn't he seem to care? I mean this was a big revelation right, so why did he act so unbothered?

Amelia cleared her throat and crossed her arms, mirroring his nonchalance. "I mean, you're right. Maybe I should go. But I don't know, maybe if I had a reason to stay, I just might."

He stared back dispassionately but she swore she could feel him smirk, "A reason? Like what?" he asked brazenly.

It was clear now; they were playing a game of cat and mouse. Was she going to stay or was he going to let her go?

"I don't know," Amelia huffed, "do you have one in mind?"

"I don't. But how would Rosalie feel if you stayed? She is your best friend...right?" And this time, he actually did smirk.

She clenched her teeth, he was trying to push all of her buttons.

"She would be just fine. She wants me to be happy, wherever that may be."