chapter 9 : desperate times call for desperate measures

Anthony continued to stare at her, this time with a slight smirk on his face.

He could probably see how red her cheeks blushed, which happened every time she was embarrassed.

"You remember now, don't you," he whispered into her ear as he spun her around. She swear she could still feel his sly smile as he spoke.

"Badgerton, right?," she muttered, as dryly as possible, not wanting to show him that she were flustered.

"Bridgerton," he correctly sternly, looking her dead in the eyes.

His cold stare gave her goosebumps all over her arms, and she thanked herself silently that she was wearing gloves.

"Okay, Bridgerton, what do you want from me?," she said, still trying to sound as calm as possible.

She didn't want him to see that she felt nervous; she didn't want him to see through her act.

"I need you to do me a favor. And before you say anything else, you owe me one," he said, alluding to his eye.

She looked at his face, his eye was better off than when she saw it last.

But there was still some bruising left.

She was proud that she was able to defend herself if necessary, but that feeling only lasted a second, seeing how that punch got her in this situation in the first place.

"Just play along, okay?" he demanded and as she continued to stare at him, she noticed that he was actually desperate.

An emotion she didn't know someone like him could hold.

But fine, she decided to play along, not wanting to cause further commotion.

As the song ended and they both bowed, he started walking away and gestured to her to follow him.

They stopped in front of a group of women, who were drinking champagne as they chattered happily.

"Mother,"  sideburns called one of the women, and she walked away from the group and towards the two of them.

Mother? He's already introducing me to his mother? My god, how desperate is he?

The lady smiled, but had a hint of confusion in her eyes that only matched the one in Amelia's.

He continued "Mother, I want you to meet...."

He paused, realizing he didn't even know her name.

"My name is Am- uh Rosalie," she said. "Rosalie Warner," cursing herself silently for almost messing up.

Through the corner of her eye, she saw that sideburns gave her a weird look but she brushed it off.

Hopefully he didn't notice the stumble.

"Violet Bridgerton," she bowed back. "It's nice to see Anthony be acquainted with such a ..... charming young lady."

Amelia didn't know if she was being sarcastic, but then Violet smiled genuinely, and then she already began to feel bad for lying to her.

Because she could even reply, sideburns interjected. "I apologize, Ms. Warner isn't feeling quite well and was just about to leave," and he dragged her out of the ballroom just as fast as he dragged her onto it.

~~~~~~~

They made their way outside. It was ten times as dark than when she first arrived.

Before she could enjoy the cool breeze after feeling so suffocated inside, she felt an already familiar touch on her arm as he began to drag her towards the garden.