chapter 17 : first (fake) date

If someone had told Amelia a week ago, that she would be walking alongside the Viscount Bridgerton (without being forced to against her will), she would have died laughing rather than believing them.

But here she was, wearing a dress with a corset, dawning silver-studded heels and her hair was tied up with indigo silk ribbons. All, of course, borrowed from Rosalie's closet.

She hadn't told her yet about that night in his apartment.

Just saying that sentence in her head sounded quite bizarre, though nothing inappropriate even took place.

Amelia wasn't trying to hide it, she just couldn't believe it herself.

So it came to both of their surprises when a letter arrived this morning inviting Amelia to Gunter's Tea Shop. The letter was addressed from none other than Bridgerton himself.

"So it's a date?"

"No, Rosalie, it's not a date," Amelia said, glaring at her friend who couldn't stop herself from smiling.

"It's not a date," she repeated. "It's a ruse."

Rosalie sighed slightly, not entirely believing Amelia.

And if she was being honest, she didn't really believe itself either.

She last spoke with him two nights ago, when they finished concocting their plans, and every time she looked down at her wrist, she could feel his grip on it, asking her what her name was, their faces mere inches away from each other as the rain poured hard around them.

She really couldn't ask for something more romantic but nothing could ever be romantic when it was a ruse.

She couldn't stop thinking about it.
She couldn't stop thinking about him.

Amelia blushed just thinking about that night, though she wasn't sure why. She had convinced herself that she despised him.

"Are you sure, it's not a date?" Rosalie asked, noticing her demeanor. "You look too excited for someone being blackmailed."

Amelia laughed and slapped Rose's arm lightly, feigning anger.

But she wasn't mad at all. In fact, quite the opposite.

She would never let Rosalie know, but she was actually excited.

~~~~~~~~~

"So here we are," a deep voice said bringing Amelia out of her daydream as they stood outside Gunter's Tea Shop.

She glanced at him, trying to figure out how he felt about the entire situation.

Was he still annoyed having to put up with this whole act or did some part of him also feel happy to be here with her?

He opened the door to the tea shop, smiling at her as she walked in.

Amelia smiled back, he doesn't seem that annoyed, she thought.

She began to feel relieved until she looked up and saw the dozens of people glancing at her from the top of their tea cups.

She pinched her arm for forgetting that you were with the viscount himself.

Anthony walked in front of her, and Amelia held her head high as she followed, repeating in her head,

"I am Rosalie Warner,
I am a proper debutante,
I am Rosalie Warner,
I am a proper debutante"

She could hear the whispers around her, following them as they made their way to the table.

She ignored them; this was all but a temporary situation.