chapter 11 : night of revelations

"I am.....Lady Whistledown."

Several seconds of silence passed as Eloise looked at Penelope with complete confoundment on her face.

"You're Lady Whistledown?"

Penelope didn't answer. She only stared back, praying that she did not just reveal her biggest secret to her best friend.

Eloise then burst out in very, very loud laughter that seemed to fill the entire bedroom. "Hahahahaha, very funny Pen. Now tell me what you're actually doing."

Penelope exhaled a breath of relief, grateful that Eloise believed she was only kidding.

"Okay, wait before I-," but before she could continue, Eloise immediately grabbed the papers from Penelope's hand.

She took the papers and quickly jumped back on the bed, reading the letters in her hand as fast as she could. 

"Eloise wait!" Penelope shouted, but it was too late.

Eloise skimmed her eyes through the letters; her laughter began to slowly die down as her demeanor became filled with stillness and contempt.

Her eyes still fixed on the letters, she opened her mouth slowly, hesitation lacing her voice, "Y-You love Colin?"

Penelope shuddered; she wasn't sure what to do or say. Though she had sobered up, her mind was still as muddy and cloudy as it was an hour ago.

Eloise stepped off the bed and walked slowly as she finished off the letter. "This is a love letter to Colin."

She said it as a statement but it felt more like a question.

Penelope looked down at her feet, feeling completely mortified.

She knew the last thing she should've ever done is to have fallen in love with her best friend's brother.

She knew she couldn't help it, but she knew even better to even try acting on her feelings.

Eloise glanced up at her best friend, her eyes soft and her voice gentle, "do you love my brother Pen?"

Penelope's lips began to tremble and she could already feel her voice breaking, "yes."

Eloise walked over to Penelope and handed her letters back, the softness in her eyes still lingering.

Soon after, a lazy smirk made its way onto her face.

"You're not mad?" Penelope asked, as tears slowly built up in her eyes.

"Why would I be?" Eloise murmured gently, as she took Penelope's hands into her own.

"Because ..... he's your brother."

"Well, I can't say I'm entirely pleased. But Pen, you're allowed to love whoever you want. And even though that someone is my brother, it's perfectly fine," she said as rubbed her thumb over Penelope's hands, letting her know it was truly okay.

"I mean, I am somewhat surprised, but honestly, I really shouldn't be. I've seen the way you look at him when you think no one's looking," she teased.

Penelope looked down at her feet again, her cheeks burning red. "Thank you, Eloise. This wasn't how I expected to tell you, but I'm glad you know. I was afraid you wouldn't want to be my friend anymore."

"Of course. I'm your best friend, there's nothing in the world that you could tell me that would ever stop us from being friends."

Penelope smiled, grateful for Eloise's sincerity. However, that feeling was shadowed by the guilt of her other, very large secret.