chapter 15 : finding that freakin' letter

Eloise ran up the stairs and pushed open the door to the front of her house.

Her feet stumbled as she walked in, and her vision was blurry as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

She was absolutely determined to find that letter.

"Eloise are you okay?" she heard a voice say. She turned around and was greeted by her younger brother, Gregory. "What happened?" he questioned, noticing her disheveled appearance. Her hair was in shambles, her dress was covered in dirt and her cheeks were stained with tears. "Where's Mrs. Wilson?"

Eloise didn't even bother going back to the market and finding Mrs.Wilson so they could head back home together.

Instead, she ran all the way to her house from the lake, the moment she realized what had happened. 

The memories of the last few minutes continued to replay in her mind.

Who's Colin? And who's Penelope?

The voices began to spiral around in Eloise's mind, and she shook her head trying to rid herself of them.

"Eloise? Are you okay sister?" she heard her sister, Hyacinth's voice now as well.

the envelope was addressed to me, but the letter was meant for someone named Colin 

The voices in her head continued, and Eloise clutched onto a table and shut her eyes, feeling dizzier by the second.

I don't understand, If Penelope's letter is here, then where is mine?

Eloise opened her eyes and they flickered around the room, looking for any sight of the letters.

Shortly after, the housemaids came to the front foyer, joining her siblings, all of them clearly concerned for Eloise's wellbeing.

"Are you okay, miss?"

"Eloise, what's going on?"

"Sister, are you unwell?"

Eloise drowned out all the voices she heard as her chest began to feel heavier and heavier with every passing moment.

She gasped for air, but nothing seemed to make its way in or out of her body.

She closed her eyes tightly, as her breath began to hitch and her head started to spin, causing her to almost lose balance.

She opened her eyes again and saw her younger siblings and the servants speaking to her, clearly worried.

But as she breathed heavily, her ears began to ring and she couldn't hear their voices anymore.

I don't understand, If Penelope's letter is here, then where is mine?

The letter.

She had to find that letter.

"Eloise, are you okay?" one of the maids asked again.

"Letters? Where are today's letters?" Eloise gasped loudly, making the women flinch in response. She pointed to the study, her eyes wide open in shock.

Eloise staggered towards the study and slammed the door shut as she locked it, making sure no one would follow her.

She supposed after making such a dramatic scene outside, it wouldn't be long until they called her mother, so she figured she only had a few minutes to find the letter.