chapter 24 : the party pt.2 : anthony & amelia

Amelia carefully stepped out of the carriage, one hand on the door, the other holding her dress up.

The sun brought warmth and she smiled seeing its shine reflecting on the sparkles of her dress.

She was so excited that she didn't even worry about the fact that it was her first real time at a party as grand as this one.

But Amelia trusted that Rosalie had taught her well enough for her to pass through without anyone being suspicious of her true identity.

She walked up the steps towards the courtyard as Rosalie linked their arms together.

They began to see the first sight of people and Amelia's breath hitched.

"What's wrong?"

"N-nothing," she muttered dryly.

She started to feel just as much nervousness as excitement.

Obviously, Anthony had uninvited her but with some stroke of luck, she managed to score an invite. Through other means, of course.

Was he going to be happy to see her? Or angry that she went against his word? He wouldn't kick her out, would he?

She shook her head to rid herself of the negative thoughts and stepped into the courtyard, finally seeing the incredible view that Clyvedon had to offer.

The perimeter of the yard was lined with tables; different cuisines & confections decorated beautifully on each one. A 20-piece orchestra played in the corner, a song that Amelia recognized instantly that made her want to dance.

People were scattered all over, on the dance floor, in the garden, though most were near the steps, making small talk it seemed.

As she took her last step, a woman turned to her and smiled; Amelia recognized her.

"Rosalie how are you darling?" It was Violet, Anthony's mother. Amelia knew about her condition but she looked well despite it all. Her eyes were a bit swollen and sunk but her cheery demeanor left no hint of an illness. "Come along, I would like you to meet the family."

Amelia looked back to Rosalie nervously, but she nodded, letting her know it was going to be okay.

"This is my daughter, Daphne," Violet introduced.

"Your Grace," she bowed quickly. "It's wonderful to meet you"

She smiled, "please. Call me Daphne."

Amelia's hands were shaking, she had never met people of such high honor before.

Daphne took her hand and began to introduce her to some of her friends. At each turn, Amelia politely bowed and bared her teeth, eager to please.

It was still foreign that everyone called her Rosalie. In all her years, she could never imagine living a life where she and her best friend switched lives just to endure a social season as a debutant. And because her best friend had fallen in love with a stable boy. 

Daphne was introducing her to one of her friends, "Hello," she smiled, "I'm Mabel, it's nice to meet you Rosalie."

At the sound of her name, a man's head snapped quickly and set his deep gaze on Amelia.

Badgerton

He continued to glare, his lips in a straight line. It was obvious he didn't want to cause a scene in front of his family and guests.

I mean isn't that why he rescinded her invitation in the first place?

After several more minutes of introductions, she was finally left alone. Amelia looked around for Rosalie but was swiftly interrupted by a touch on her arm.

I thought I told you not to come, he whispered in the back of her ear. She hoped he didn't see the goosebumps on her neck.

She took a breath and turned around, smiling.

"Anthony."

"Amelia," he muttered soft enough for no one else to hear.

"What are you doing here?"

"I was invited"

"I thought-"

"I was invited by someone else...again... I guess I was really wanted at this party," she chuckled, hoping he would find humor in this situation.

"Hmmm," he grumbled. But he didn't look as mad as she thought he would. He took a sip of his drink and looked away, distracted by the arrival of a guest.

She looked at his lips. She desperately wanted them on hers again.

Amelia restrained herself, but it was more difficult than believed. She held back knowing that she would obviously ruin at least 3 people's lives if she kissed him right here in front of everyone.

Even a wife and husband didn't publicly display that much affection.

He looked back at her and she quickly looked up into his eyes, clearly feeling the rush to her cheeks. She looked away and set her eyes on the dance floor instead. She hoped she would make your way there at least once tonight.

He downed his drink and set the glass down, chuckling as if he read her mind. "Would you like a dance?"

Amelia laughed. It would be my honour."

~~~~~~~

A/N

cuties 🥺🥺🥺

i am loving this whole party series

there's definitely going to be few more chapters at the party that includes all the characters

VOTE
COMMENT
if you're excited to see eloise & mabel's chapter 😏

have a lovely night

signing off,

Violet Knightly 🌚

17/01/22