Chapter Three

He said something like this:

Has Kino been seeing things?

I responded with: What do you mean?

He said: Has he been seeing what's been going around on campus?

I was shocked. Did Yuto know about Kino's ability too?

I said: About the murders?

Yes, he responded. Has he seen anything?

I replied: Tell me what you mean and I'll tell you if I know anything.

Yuto said: He sees deaths, and I was wondering if he saw the two on campus.

My heart had been racing. Was Yuto trying to get us in trouble? If the police saw these texts they'd suspect Kino.

Before I could say anything back, he texted: Where is your dorm?

I told him where, and about ten minutes later there was a knock on my door.

"This has been on my mind since I found out about the murders," Yuto said as he sat on the edge of my bed. I stood, still weary. "I'm sorry if you were sleeping or something."

"No, I wasn't," I said. "But I'm really confused."

"Look, I've known Kino since before college. We met in high school," Yuto started. "He sees things. I don't know how else to explain it except that he goes into a trance of some sort and when he snaps out of it he usually screams. He cries a lot of the time too."

Well, Yuto had just described both experiences I had perfectly.

"Look, if we talk about this we have to agree that we can't tell the Police about Kino. They'll immediately suspect him," I said, sitting down in my desk chair. Yuto nodded at me.

"I won't tell." I took a deep breath.

"Yes, he saw both of them." Yuto nodded again.

"I figured he did. What happened? Did he tell you any details?"

"Well, he just knows they were strangled. The person had black gloves on, there was graffiti on the wall, that's about it."

"Were you with him when he saw them?"

"Yes, both times," I replied. "I was really scared at first because I didn't know what was happening and he wouldn't tell me."

"The same thing happened to me," Yuto said, crossing his legs. "When I was with him sophomore year, a woman was kidnapped and killed in our hometown. We lived in a bad area, but I had just started getting to know him, so this was the first time I saw this happen. Now that I think about it, he probably saw these murders really often..." Yuto trailed off for a moment before continuing. "We had been playing basketball and he had been running toward the basket, but then all of a sudden he just stopped. It was the quickest transition I'd ever seen. I had been trying to block him, so I stopped too, confused. 'Kino,' I said. 'What are you doing?' He didn't answer. He just stared right at me and started crying. He didn't even blink once. I remember moving to the side and shaking his shoulder. He wouldn't snap out of it, so I just waited. It was really scary. I didn't know to tell an adult because I wasn't sure if he was having a seizure or something, or to just let it go. After another few minutes, he snapped out of it and screamed, then he pushed me to the ground." I stared at Yuto in shock. "Then he told me he was sorry and left."

"So did he tell you what it was?" I asked him, my curiosity taking over.

"Not that time," Yuto answered. "The next time it happened it was much shorter, but he did it outside the school. I eventually cornered him and asked him what was going on with him, and that's when he told me."