Chapter Two

Love really is strange. When you love someone, it's like they've consumed you. They're all you can think about, all you want, all you need. Kino and I were friends for another month or so before anything 'romantic' happened. I never thought it would happen, knowing my luck.

We went on our first date around the same time the first murder happened.

I remember that day well. We went to a small coffee shop and had some coffee and donuts. Most of all we just talked. I would stare into those dark, beautiful eyes and lose myself in them. He'd smile and I'd immediately smile back.

We were both getting used to college life. I tutored him in Algebra because it wasn't his best subject. It wasn't mine either, but it gave me an excuse to see him more.

That night we were walking back to the University, my arm looped in his. I was on cloud nine. I had the most beautiful boy I'd ever seen on my arm and we were having a pleasant conversation.

Then it happened for the first time.

Well, not the first time for him. It was the first time I'd seen it happen. Kino all of a sudden stopped walking. I had turned to him and asked him if he was OK, but he didn't respond. I had narrowed my eyebrows and unlooped my arm from his. He was staring off into space, eyes wide. I started to grow more worried when he started crying. "Kino," I remember saying. "Please tell me what's wrong. Did I say something?" Seeing him cry just scared me more and made it more difficult to figure out what to do. I tried my best to be helpful. "Kino, please answer me."

He stayed like that for another minute or so. I was holding his shoulders, shaking him lightly. When he finally snapped out of his trance, he screamed and pushed me away from him. I backed up, eyes wide. He looked around and seemed to remember where we were and what we were doing. "Oh my God, did I push you?" He asked me. I nodded, still dumbfounded and confused. "Oh God Eden I'm so sorry."

"W-what happened?" I asked him. I remember moving closer and putting my hands on his shoulders.

"I-It's nothing," Kino answered me.

I knew he was lying then, but I didn't pry. Whatever happened was his business, and while I worried, I let the strange incident go.

Until it happened again.

It wasn't for another few days or so. We'd been studying for Algebra in the library when he all of a sudden started staring off into space again. I remember not knowing what to do. He started crying again, which as I said, made me cry too. I rubbed his back, trying to get him back to reality. "Kino, please come back," I remember saying.

This one lasted longer. He was gone for about three minutes. When he came back, he screamed again and thrashed a little, but didn't push me away. The few other students and the librarian stared at him in shock and irritation."I-I'm sorry," he said. I knew he meant it, but I couldn't keep my curiosity in.

"Kino, what was that?" He wiped his eyes and looked at me.

"Something bad is happening around here Eden."

That's all he said about it.

I remember meeting a few of the others that day. Yuto and Shinwon.

They were other friends that Kino had. When we walked out of the library after one of his incidents Yuto and Shinwon were sitting outside talking. Kino introduced us.

They would become very important later.

_____________

The news of two murders on campus came the following morning. Classes were canceled that day and we were supposed to stay in our dorms. My roommate wasn't there to begin with. She'd probably snuck out the night before to go see her boyfriend.