Chapter Fourteen

They took the three of us back to the police station and gave us some water. We were all in shock that it was Dawn. I mean, no one ever questioned him. He was quiet.

I texted Hui and Jinho. Hui woke up and saw the text, then he told me he and Jinho would be there in a few.

I leaned into Kino and stared off into space.

This was finally over.

Yuto sat next to us, also staring off into space, eyes far away.

"I can't believe it," I said.

"Me neither," Kino replied, sounding half interested, but just shocked.

They were questioning Dawn at that point. Hui and Jinho burst through the doors and ran up to us.

"Are you ok?!" Hui exclaimed. I nodded. I hadn't stopped shaking since it happened. Hui noticed the red marks on my neck and ran a hand through his hair. "Oh my God! I can't believe this! And they caught him?! Who is it?!"

"It's Dawn," Yuto said, wiping his eyes. He was tired and upset.

"But w-why?!" Jinho stuttered.

"We don't know," Kino said. He was also very shaky. He'd been through so much, but thankfully, the killer was in custody, and he wouldn't be able to hurt anyone else.

One of the officers came out then and looked at all of us. "Hey... are you guys ok?"

We nodded, but we weren't.

"You're all free to go... he confessed, but if you want your injuries to be looked at, we can drive you up to the hospital."

"It's ok," I said. "I'm fine."

Kino agreed, as did Yuto.

We all left and went back to my dorm.

I didn't want to talk about it. I just wanted to sleep. We were all silent.

We all went to sleep after that.

The last thing Kino did was text the guys in a new group chat, telling them Dawn was caught, and that we should all meet tomorrow.

_______________

"So... it was Dawn."

We were all in the park, sitting in a circle. Everyone felt a little bit relieved, knowing the killer was behind bars.

"Yes, it really was..." Kino replied.

"I'm sorry I suspected any of you guys," I said. "I was only suspicious because, well, how couldn't I be?"

"I feel the same way," Shinwon agreed. "I'm sorry if I accused any of you."

"Me too," Hongseok said as he picked at the grass.

"I'm sorry for calling you all crazy," Yanan said. We chuckled.

The others also said sorry, and I could tell they meant it.

Yuto stayed quiet but nodded along. I looked at Kino, who smiled at me. "Well, it looks like we can be normal college students again."

"Thank goodness," Jinho said, smiling.

It was nice to see the guys smiling again.

"Do you think we can all be friends now that we know we're all innocent?" Changgu asked. We all looked at him.

"I think so," Kino answered. "I mean, we were scared, so we did some questionable things. But we made it out."

"Yes..." Changgu said.

I looked over at Yuto. "Yuto, how are you feeling?"

He blinked, then sat forward. "Um... well, I feel terrible."

"You do?" Shinwon asked. "Even after Dawn was caught?"

"Well yeah," Yuto said. "Those people are still gone. Did we really get the last victory? I mean, he's affected so many people."

I nodded and rubbed his shoulder. "You're right, Yuto. You're right."

"I heard some news about a memorial," Hongseok said. "I heard they're building something on the grounds to honor the dead."

"That's a good idea," I agreed. Yuto sighed.

"I guess so..."

Kino hold me close and sighed also. "Well, we can pray for them, and honor the memorial... but I'm not sure what else there is to do."

We were quiet for a moment.

After this, the ten of us went our separate ways. Kino and I decided to go to a lookout and spend some time alone.

"When I saw you dying," Kino started. "I tried to snap out of it so bad. Harder than I ever tried, but I couldn't. It was terrible. I was just thinking to myself... I will never forgive myself for this. For not saving her. I'm losing one of the only people who ever understood and stayed at my side."

We were sitting on the hill, overlooking a small town next to where we went to school. I leaned into him and he wrapped his arm around me.

"I kept thinking about you while it was happening," I replied. "I wanted to get it to stop so you didn't have to watch."

"THAT's what you were worried about?" Kino asked in shock.

"Well, yeah..."

He laughed softly and kissed the top of my head. "You're something else. In a good way, I mean."

"Did you see yourself?" I asked curiously. "When you were getting attacked?"

Kino was quiet for a moment. "Yes, I did."

I couldn't imagine that. Seeing yourself as you're getting killed, unable to move, unable to speak. It's a miracle he got out alive.

"You're very lucky," I told Kino as I looked over the town slowly. "I can't believe we made it out of this. If Yuto hadn't been there, I would be gone."

"Well, I owe him big," Kino said, smiling. "He's always been a great friend."

"And I really owe him," I agreed.

"I just really want you and I to be able to be more like a couple," he told me. "We haven't been able to do much because of everything going on."

"Yep, we should do more couple like things," I said.

Kino and I spent some time at that lookout, just talking. Kino was so strong. He really had a burden of a power. I was a bit confused over his power, like, how close did the person have to be? He told me it was roughly a few miles, or at least that's what he guessed.

Thankfully, he didn't have another episode, except a short one that ended in the person living, for the rest of the year.

Now, I've been telling this story in the past tense. This is a story that happened to me Twelve years ago. Many things have happened since freshman year of college.

Let me explain.