34. The lucky one

Taehyung propped his elbow on the hospital bed while he sat while absent mindedly looking out of the window. The rain hit the glass with small knocks, every passing drop leaving a thin mark. He wouldn't be able to see the twilight outside, only the room's pale reflection was beating off from it. Nonetheless, the boy was so deep in thoughts that he didn't pay attention to his surroundings, even though his mind was full of meaningless things. Maybe he didn't have any capacity to ponder about their situation. He was just drained emotionally.

He turned his gaze from the window. On the pale-yellow sat Yoongi with closed eyes, in the same position as he had been for the last one and a half hours. If it were someone else, Taehyung would have been sure that the person was sleeping, but he couldn't know with Yoongi.

He might have had been so lost in his thoughts that he forgot to move.

His gaze wandered further to the IV stand, where the liquid with medicine dropped into the pool in the bag every other second. He didn't want to look down, yet he still had done it. He couldn't keep his eyes away from it for long.

In the bed he was leaning onto, laid Jimin motionlessly. His free hand was intervened with the other's fingers, but no matter how many times he squeezed them a little, he never got any answer back. The boy's leg was put in a structure made of rails and cords, which lifted it up.

Taehyung, although he was an expert in robotics, was still scared from the sight that so many cords and metal had to secure his friend. When, in reality it was for his comfort, his leg was not twisted in any way, nor raised in unnatural heights, a simple pillow would have done the trick if it hadn't been necessary to keep the limb in the required angle.

Or at least he was telling that to himself. The pillow was under it anyway.

It wasn't what was actually bothering Taehyung anyway.

Of course, Namjoon had told him earlier that the boy got beaten, but the sight was still shocking. His perfect Chimmy, who had been lying next to him in perfect health just a few hours ago as they planned their future happily, was now unconscious on a hospital bed. It was like a slap on the face. It didn't matter to him who the boy was before, who he was before he got to know him. He only wanted to keep the smaller in his arms forever and didn't understand why the others thought elsehow. Why they had to let go of him, why he had to save the other two boys, why hadn't he told them so they could solve the problem together. Yes, he was selfish about all that, but he couldn't stop feeling unfair about the situation.

It was the hardest to look at Chimmy's face. The childishly puffy face that he liked so much disappeared somewhere under the bruises. The part near his ears was partly covered in a white bandage, but the edge of the part rubbed bloody was still visible. The boy was pale from blood loss, and such wrinkles appeared on him from misery which weren't supposed to. A cut ran down on his bottom lip, which made Tae more furious than anything else. In the last few months, his favorite activity became watching Jimin's lips as he spoke.

Still, what crushed the boy's soul even more was Chimmy's stillness. The other always moved around. If they watched the TV, he fiddled with his fingers, pulled on the threads of his clothes, thumped with his legs, and combed his hair with his fingers for the thousandth time. Even when he was sleeping, the boy was restless. He squirmed and turned around all night, mumbled incoherent words in his sleep, and buried his cold nose into Taehyung's pajamas. That was why he liked to sleep in the same bed with the other. But now? Now the only signs of life were the boy's rising chest and the heart monitor's monotone beeping. He was even taking his breaths in silence, which was scary.