35. Asleep and wakening

Hoseok looked up at the car slowing down in front of him with surprise.

He looked around. Except for him, nobody was waiting in the bus station in a while, and he had just gotten comfortable on the seats, but he still got disturbed.

The door of the car opened, and a man got out of the vehicle on the other side. How could he not recognize him straight away?

"I've been looking for you everywhere! I'm sorry, I didn't know when you would finish, so I just left the hospital at a random time."

The boy blinked at Seokjin's figure sleepily. He didn't understand what the man was doing there.

"Get inside!" he smiled.

Hoseok didn't think, just stood up from his seat and walked closer to the other, who opened the door for him in the meantime.

"I'm soaked..." he mumbled embarrassedly as he looked down at the expensive seat cover.

"I am too now," laughed the man. "Don't care about it."

Hoseok got into the front seat, and Seokjin ran back to his own side. The boy didn't ask where they were going, he didn't really care either. The car was warm, clean, and quiet, and he couldn't have asked more than that at the moment. The man was driving slowly this time on the dark, nearly empty roads.

"Is everything okay? Did it go well?"

Hoseok nodded and leaned onto the backrest. He didn't want to talk about it. Everyone cared about how many gangsters they could send to jail, that they could outnumber the mafia site. The fact that he had to recall all of the awful memories of his life didn't matter a bit.

"Is there... Is there something, anything, that I can do for you?" asked the older.

The boy looked up at him. He didn't want to ask for anything from anyone, but still. The man didn't have to come for him, he didn't owe him anything and now that they got Jimin out from the Estate, he didn't even need him anymore. And he still came for him. Maybe... Maybe just this once, he could be a bit selfish, right? He got embarrassed just by the thought that he had to do something like this. How old was he, three? He felt his face heat up, but he still squeezed the words out of himself.

"If... If it's not too much... Could I get something to eat?"

A moment of silence followed his question, then Seokjin pressed the breaks to the core in front of a red light. Hoseok's head hit the headrest, as they stopped with a loud squeak.

"When had you eaten for the last time?!" the man pinned the question at him with a tone that the boy almost felt as if he had to apologize for not getting food. But when was the last time, really? He'd gotten locked in the cage last night so a whole day surely had gone by, and he faintly remembered a slice of dry bread from earlier, but he wouldn't be so sure about that either.

He just shrugged.

Seokjin's jaw tensed, then he stepped on the gas and with a hairpin curve, he started driving the other direction. Maybe he really should have said sorry? Hoseok looked outside to the passing city.

The people outside were strange.

*

"Where are we?" he asked when they parked beside a dark building.

"At a restaurant" got the man out of the car, with him following him.

"But it's closed..."

"It's not if you are the owner..." Seokjin pulled a keychain out of his pocket. "Come."