le croiriez-vous

(12/09/17)

"You're joking right?" Willa stares at me.

My family are gathered in the lounge room, all with wide eyes and doubting expressions written on their faces.

"I swear to god, Nixie, if you're joking I will personally ki-"

"No violence under this roof, thank you. Keep it outside." My mum glares at her.

Willa crosses her arms, seemingly disappointed that she can't carry out her actions from the comfort of her living room. Emilie, my oldest sister, looks more confused than anything else. Penelope is starting at her hands like they should be hung in the Louvre.

I just need to make this clear. They aren't excited immediately because they aren't happy for me, but because I have a habit of pranking them.

Like last Friday for example. I told my dad that I had run into Chris Hemsworth on my morning run, and he went crazy. He's a massive Thor fan, so he was incredibly disappointed.

I felt really bad when I had to tell him that it was a lie.
"Are you being serious right now, Nixie?" My dad questions.

It doesn't surprise me that he hasn't even looked away from the football game on TV. His eyes are locked to the screen.

I sigh, and run a hand through my sweaty hair. Griffin and I ran all the way here instead of catching a bus, or getting an uber. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I'm questioning it.

"Yes, I am serious, father, and I don't know what to do." I say.

"Show me the email."

Mum waves me over to her. I plop myself down next to her on the colourful patch work couch, and notice immediately that she has doused herself in strong floral perfume. It lingers on her lilac cardigan.

I hand her my phone, and she reads the email through and through, just like I did about 30 times. Her caramel eyes seem more shocked than unable to believe what is in front of her.

"Good heavens, it is real." She breathes. A purple painted fingernail pushes her lengthy brunette hair out of her face, and starts being bitten straight after.

"What do I do?" I ask.

"Jesus, Nixie, are you stupid?" Penelope questions, walking into the room.

"What?"

"I honestly question your intelligence sometimes." She responds.

Join the club, Penny.

"I can't just drop out of university, plus, I would be away for months, most likely. It's not just a quick week long holiday. And, I-" Words of worry tumble out of my mouth uncontrollably.

"Okay, please, shut up." Penelope wines, pinching the bridge of her nose.

I should probably say that we do not hate each other, she just has a habit of being the annoying, always right older sister. It can be incredibly frustrating at times. Like now.

"First of all, university doesn't control your life, Nixie." Mum states.

"Exactly, thank you Mum. And second, this is one of those once in a lifetime, extremely rare opportunities that most people will never experience. So for god's sake, just take it, and deal with any consequences later." Penelope exclaims.

Griffin nods in agreement, as does Willa, Emilie and Dad. I groan out in pure frustration. A tanned arm snakes its way around my shoulders and pulls me closer to their owner's warm frame. I nestle my head into the crook of Griffin's arm, and whisper against his skin.