si merveilleux et chaleureux

(19/09/17)

"45 minutes everyone!" The tour manager yells out, obviously forgetting we have earpieces on.

I wince with a few others, placing a hand over my beating eardrums. The lingering voice disappears painfully slowly, leaving a gentle ringing behind. I watch myself in the large mirror.

I've ditched my usual lary clothes, instead choosing a simple white v-neck t shirt, baggy ripped black jeans, and my old white vans. The only pop of colour is my aged red hoodie. It feels strange not wearing flared trousers, or several necklaces, or painted shoes.

The band has left, practicing one last time before the show starts. Harry however, is taking a lot longer than expected to get dressed. It's not that he doesn't like the outfit options either.

The problem is he likes them all too much.

He changes in and out of every sequin-adorned trousers, suit jackets every colour of the rainbow and more, and a concerning amount of heeled shoes. As if I summoned him, he bursts out of the dressing wearing a red suit, delicate floral embroidery stretching down the sleeves. His nails are painted black, and rings of different designs cover his fingers.

"What about this one?" Harry asks frantically, pushing his hair out of his eyes.

The dark haired woman who has been standing in the same position for the past hour sighs exasperatedly. She places a hand on her hip. I think her name is Mary.

"It looks wonderful, Harry. You have to pick one soon, you're on in 40, and you still haven't decided what shoes to wear. And, I'll probably have to redo your hair." She explains.

Harry nods, a slightly guilty, sheepish smile appearing with his shrug. Suddenly, his eyes meet mine in the mirror, and he runs over to me, almost tripping over the long hems of his trousers.

Evidently, he has to wear heeled shoes for a reason. Sadly it isn't because he's short.

"Nixie!" He sings.

"Yes?"

"Which suit do you like better? This one," He points to himself. "Or, this one?" His hands clutch onto the fabric of another suit.

It's a dainty white, warm like the rose you would see at a wedding. Pretty pink and coral flowers are dotted in no particular pattern, creating a rose garden effect. It's graceful, but daring at the same time.

"This one." I nod at the suit, reaching out to hold it myself.

The fabric is soft, and lined on the inside with plush material. He'll probably bake in it, dancing and singing on stage, but it will be worth it.

"Thank you, thank you so much. You're a lifesaver!" He gushes, quickly pulling me into a side hug, and releasing me within two seconds.

"Okay, wonderful, now can you get changed, and come and sit down? Please?" Mary begs.

Harry yells out a quick 'yes', and darts back behind the curtain again. Mary exhales, and looks at me.

"I swear, he reminds me of my son sometimes." She whispers, more to herself than to me.

"Aww, how old is he?" I ask.

"Four."

"Okay, okay, I'm ready. Let's go!" Harry doesn't hear her remark, but still catches a last glance of my shocked laughter as he leaps into his chair.

My camera snaps away, capturing Mary in action as she gently redoes the part, and styles his natural curls in a delicate manner. Harry catches my glance again in the mirror, and smirks. Quick as a flash, his tongue darts out like a child.