Chapter two: hidden hybrids

POV Cleo: oh god my amulet was glitching out again. My skin was flickering between its natural green and the amulet induced pale. Of course it chooses the day I'm leaving to glitch out. I shook it a couple times and it stopped flickering and my skin returned to its artificial pale. "Hopefully it will stay that way" I muttered. I hated the amulet, it made me feel uncomfortable and glitched out a bunch, but I needed it. People hated hybrids, especially zombies. I couldn't go out without the amulet. I'm lucky that I can use the amulets. Ren can't, he just wears the hat, and poor doc can't even try to hide it. Me, doc and Ren knew about each other but the others didn't and hopefully it will stay that way.

I finished packing my large suitcase and headed out. I hailed a taxi and one came. "Hello ma'am where am I taking you?" He asked "-288, 67, -1167" I answered "hmm that's a new server right are you an admin or something" oh god he was going to make conversation. I'm not anti-social or anything but this is just a taxi driver that I don't have any prior experience with."no just drive". I looked out on the city passing by and I recognized some of the places: the hub tower, the leaderboard ranking admins on how many and what type of players they had. I thought the leaderboard was sick. Why are you treating hybrids and magic users like trash, forcing them into hiding, then making them worth more than a common?"Were Here we are ma'am that will be two diamonds" I silently handed him the diamonds and left

Ren was the only one there so far "hey your amulets glitching out" he said I looked down at my hand and frantically shook my amulet and my skin retired to the artificial pale.I sighed in relief "it was doing that this morning too" I sat down against the server portal "I hope it's not broken" I looked down at the circular pendant. It was an inch or so in diameter and clear. I heard a strange clicking noise and X appeared in front of us by one of the many command blocks "oh how did you guys get here I Andy just now activated the command blocks." He asked "I like car rides so I took a taxi" I said "my mom insisted on driving me here" said Ren. X typed something into his com "everyone else should be here in a sec I just told them that the command blocks are synced up right" he said aloud people did indeed begin teleporting here in a minute or two everyone was here "ok everybody let's go" they jumped through the portal. Everyone started to gather wood except false who brought her sword so she got to get food aka kill all the animals. Joe, mumbo were mining while everyone else was working on getting some walls up before night came around. We ended up with three block high oak walls, one door with like twenty five blocks of space in the middle. It was enough for our small group. Back in the mines we mined out rooms for ourselves. I was glad we were getting our own rooms. I was in my room in the late evening. False had come back with a lot of mutton and wool for bass and food. I lay awake for a while, I couldn't sleep. I got up to gat a book from my suitcase and I realized my hand was green. I shook my amulet but it stayed that way I shook it harder but no result. I panicked. Oh god what was I going to do, my friends wouldn't hate me but it would be hard to explain "hey I've been lying to you for what since we were five and I'm only now telling you because my device for lying is broken haha" I went to the dirbyh (hybrid spelled backwards for safety) group chat "my amulet broke what do I do" I typed frantically. It was late but not that late. "You could wear a long sweater" suggested doc "if they discover you being a zombie then I will take off my hat if that helps" Ren said. I couldn't keep up an act for long. But I could keep it up for a while.

The next day I wore an oversized hoodie, and gloves. I wanted to check out the nearby mountain anyway so I could use that as an excuse. I walk up to the walled compound. Joe doc X, and Ren are up "hey Cleo want to here about a weird glitch" asked Joe as he gestured for me to come over to where he and X were sitting. I walked over" so our server could should be eight you know if you tally it up magic users and hybrids are two points and Joe has basic healer knowledge and admins don't count but it says we have ten how crazy is that" explained X. Oh god "ha what a funny glitch" I laughed. The admin magic somehow detected me and Ren. I was going to be found out eventually and Ren would also say hey I'm a dog hybrid at the same time "I'm going to the mountains I'll be back before sunset." I said grabbing some of yesterday's mutton "I'm coming to, exploring is fun" said Joe. Oh god the mountain was windy I just wanted to be away from the camp and have an excuse to dress warmly but this was worse and I couldn't turn it down that would look weird "I'll come too" offered Ren looking at me worried.

The mountain was definitely windy and I was struggling to keep my hood on. The mountain was pretty cool though it had gravel coal and spruce trees. Joe gave me his pickaxe to mine coal while he used my axe to cut down trees, Ren was digging for flint to make arrows. "He's surprisingly fast at digging without a shovel" joe said I shrugged and kept on mining there was only one block left of the large vein of coal I mined the ore above my head and everything went black

I woke up in the middle of the compound, my ears were ringing and the light seemed really bright. "She's alive," said Joe. He was sitting on a log next to the rest of our friends, something was wrong. I could feel it. Ren had his hat off. Then I remembered what had happened, oh god I checked my hand yep no glove"a bunch of gravel fell on your head and knocked you unconscious" he continued. I was alarmed at the least, especially since they were acting like I was just having a sick day or something, "a-aren't you scared"I stuttered "you know we don't judge for things like that" X reassured "but i lied to you guys for years" I asked. bdubs looked at me and said "and it's impressive" mumbo spoke up "I once took an extra pretzel and Xisuma noticed that I had taken an extra pretzel and the worst part is that he was playing chess with doc twenty feet away" X shrugged "they teach it in admin school it's a magical thing which makes you and rens lie even more impressive" he says laughing.

Time skip

Wow I thought, laying down in my room. I always kinda knew this day would come. When my amulet started glitching out when I was like eleven or something it became a worry in the back of my head, what if it glitches out when I'm out in public or with friends. It did happen once before now. We were all going camping one summer, me Ren and Doc had been sent out to gather firewood and marshmallow sticks. We were deep into the forest and my amulet started to glitch out. Doc ran over and started to shake it "why are you shaking it" I asked, confused, "my sister has one this usually works" he said. Ren notices but didn't hear doc because he was collecting sticks. He had good reason to panic, doc was shaking my necklace, and I had suddenly turned into a zombie. My skin was a pale peach again and it was my turn to panic. Oh god people know now people know, I thought. "Hey it's not that bad having people know" doc tried to reassure. "Ren's also a hybrid so you can also just hide it like him." Ren gave doc a look and said "I thought you said you would never tell anyone what the heck doc" he punched doc lightly and doc tried to grab his hat but Ren backed away. "Aww come on take the hat off" doc teased Ren rolled his eyes and took off his beanie. He had brown wolf ears "cool wolf ears"I said he shrugged "they're dog ears but thanks". We walked off and they added me to their dirbyh group chat.

But now I didn't have to hide nor did Ren. We were free