18: revelation (f.d.)

imagine:
you're a shifter, laying in the grass on a sunny day in hogwarts, and tom riddle joins you.
___________

One last hour to spare. The ticking of your watch filled your ears as you closed your eyes, inhaling the hot air of Hogwarts, taking in all its glory and joy one last time before you find yourself back in your sheets. It was nearly impossible to bring yourself to tears over this farewell; you had used every bit of your emotions on this immense rollercoaster of a journey with the people you cherished in Hogwarts, and now you couldn't even say goodbye.

As you laid in the field of grass, feeding yourself to the warmth of the sun, a cool breeze caressed your bare feet and exposed skin. Through all that enjoyment nature was feeding you, it was still difficult to shake off the discomforting feeling of being watched closely. You slowly opened your eyes to see Tom Riddle towering you, his tall figure blocking the warm embrace of the sun.

"You look sad," he said, his voice monotonous as always.

Your eyes fixed at the sky and replied with a sigh, nothing more. You couldn't say anything without letting out a croak or any sign of distress, so you laid there in silence. Emotions were rather difficult to hide in a magical environment, especially with someone who's in touch with energy. Your desolation engulfed Tom as he gazed at your expressionless face. He grew concerned as your emotions grew stronger, but what could he possibly do? Without a word, he laid down next to you in a field of grass, staring at the blue sky as you both watched a lonely cloud gradually go by.

"I'd suggest talking about it, but-" he said, but you cut him off.

"I must confess something."

Silence fell between you two as you paused, slowly turning your head to him. He breathed out, waiting patiently for you to continue, and as you were about to continue, an overwhelming feeling crashed upon you, forcing a mere croak out of your throat. Tom turned to you in concern, breathing rapidly as he watched you find the courage to begin.

"Are you... in lo-"

"Please, don't flatter yourself," you chuckled, finally able to speak once again. You had a feeling he said that for a reason as throughout the times you and Tom had spent together, he noticed humor had always somehow calmed your nerves. "As I was saying, I'm not who you think I am."

Tom turned back to the sky, gazing at the cloud that was barely moving.

"How so?" he asked.

"For starters, I'm no witch," you began, stammering along the way, "and I'm not from this... reality either."

You awaited his reply, but nothing came out of him but a mere sigh.

"You're... I should've known."

"What?"

"A shifter, aren't you?"

Your heart began pounding out of your chest as your eyes widened in shock. You laid there speechlessly, perplexed by his acknowledgement of reality shifting as you anticipated a baffled expression. He turned back to you, raising an eyebrow as he smirked cockily.

"Really? You should've known better," he chuckled at your shocked expression. You quickly looked away from him, still as speechless. "Is that all, Y/N?"