Chapter Three

CRASH! SPLASH! CRACK!

The rain poured from the heavens almost as a sign that we should turn back, that this crew was destined to fail. We were in the middle of the sea caught in a storm that soaked us through to the bone. The crew had no clue where we were heading but I knew we must be heading to the Black Pearl, Jack was steering with one hand and in his other hand his trusty compass. Most people would do anything to have that compass, people would die for it. Literally. To most it just looks like an old beat up compass but to the trained eye they would realise that compass would lead you to what your heart desired most.

"How can we sail to an island that nobody can find with a compass that doesn't work?" Will asked Jack, it was hard to hear him over the sound of the storm. So Jack hadn't shared how his compass works, very smart. Being a blabber mouth always gets you in trouble.

"Aye, the compass doesn't point north. But we're not trying to find north, are we?" Mr Gibbs answered Will as Jack was too focused on steering to answer him. "Plus we don't need to find the island; we just need to catch up." I chimed in a smirk upon my lips. He looked me oddly; come to think of it I think that's the first thing I've said to him so far.

"You seem to have history with Jack, are you an ex of his as well?" Will asked me

"Don't make me sick boy!" I replied "The names sparrow, Holly Sparrow. Jacks sister. Now get to back to work if you want to make it to the island." He looked at me the shock clear on his face but quickly got back to work.

Time skip 

The storm had finally cleared up just as we emerged from a thick fog the crew fell silent. The waters surrounding us filled with wrecked ships that had tried but ultimately failed trying to get to Isla De Muerta. This is enough to make even the most seasoned pirates sick to their stomach.

"Dead men tell no tales" Squawks Mr Cottons parrot

"Puts in a chill in the bones, how many honest sailors have been claimed by this passage." Mr Gibbs shares in a glum tone to Will and me. A massive scraping noise comes from the water. A wrecked ship submerged in the water scratching the underside of our ship. I walk over to Jack as he adjusts our course as to avoid hitting anymore sunken ships in this watery grave. Watching the wrecked ships as we pass by makes me wonder why Jack has not told me about how he lost the Black Pearl, I would ask him now except he doesn't like to be distracted while he's focussed. I wonder what became of Hector after Jack lost the Pearl, is he still on it? Well where ever he is I hope he is safe and hasn't forgotten me. Oh god what if he's moved on. No he wouldn't do that Hector is loyal to the ones he loves.

  Will's POV

After Holly walked away I leaned over to Mr Gibbs to ask him some questions I had about Jack and Holly who I just found out is his sister.

"How is it that Jack came by that compass?" I asked Mr Gibbs

"Not a lot's known about Jack Sparrow 'fore he showed up in Tortuga with a mind to go after the treasure of Isla de Muerta. That was before I'd met him, back when he was captain of the Black Pearl." Mr Gibbs told me, He was the captain of the Black Pearl? "He never told me that" I said becoming more and more suspicious of Jack.

"Well, he plays things close to the vest now. And a hard learned lesson it was. See three days out on the venture the first mate comes to him and says everything's an equal share that should mean the location of the treasure, too. So, Jack gives up the bearings. That night, there was mutiny. They marooned Jack on an island, and left him to die. But not before he'd gone mad with the heat." Mr Gibbs said in a very hushed voice, that must be why Jack is so... Well Jack.

"Now, Will, when a pirate's marooned, he's given a pistol with a single shot. One shot, well that won't do much good hunting, or to be rescued. But after three weeks of a starving belly and thirst -- that pistol start to look real friendly." Mr Gibbs continued while miming shooting himself in the head with a pistol. "But Jack, he escaped the island. And he still has that single shot. Oh, but he won't use it, though, save on one man. His mutinous first mate..." Mr Gibbs revealed before being interrupted

"Barbossa?" I asked him, Mr Gibbs nodded.

"But how did Jack get off the island?" I asked confused

"Well, I'll tell ya. He waded out into the shallows and he waited there, three days and three nights, 'til all manner of sea creatures 'came acclimated to his presence. Then on the fourth morning he roped himself a couple of sea turtles, lashed 'em together and made a raft." Mr Gibbs said confidently. I was shocked. No way in hell that could be how Jack got off the island he was marooned on.

"Sea turtles? Well what did he use for rope?" I asked Mr Gibbs as Jack came up behind me 

"Human hair. From my back." Jack said confidently as he pushed past me. Mr Gibbs seemed perfectly content with that answer but it left me more confused than before. I still had so many more questions. 

"Another thing..." I turned to Mr Gibbs once again 

"What's the deal with Holly?"

 "Ahh, Holly Sparrow, a very interesting girl right there. Tougher than most pirates and loyal as anything. She was Jacks right hand man or err woman when he was captain on the Black Pearl. Normally women are unlucky aboard a ship but I think Holly must be Jacks good luck charm. About ten years ago he set sail without her and left her on Tortuga without a good bye, and well a few days later Jack was marooned by his crew." Mr Gibbs said. I wonder if Jack leaving Holly behind had anything to do with him being marooned by his crew. I didn't have any time to ask because Jack ordered the crew to drop the anchor.