Chapter Twenty-Nine: Added Stress

Beep. Beep.

The alarm next to Gwen's bed blared in her ears. Her hand hit the top of the plastic box before she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. Next to her, Phoenix was curled up on the top of her pillow staring at her.

"Well, good morning to you," she patted the top of his head and he chirped back.

She pulled herself into a seated position and felt her whole body ache. Gwen was still sore and exhausted from her nighttime swim and running almost the full length of the grounds. She felt the tightness concentrate in her legs as she put her feet on the floor.

"She's awake," Hannah smiled from across the room.

"Ba-arely," Gwen yawned. She stood up feeling the weight in her legs. She popped her joints and stretched, before grabbing clean clothes and a towel from her wardrobe.

"What time did you get back last night?" Hannah said as she pinned the Prefect badge to her robes.

"Late. I was so tired, I didn't even have the energy to shower."

"Oh?"

"Oh?" Gwen questioned.

"You come back late, you can't stand, and the sweater you're wearing."

She looked down at the muted green sweatshirt with a large "F" on the chest. "This is not what it looks like."

"Are you sure?" Hannah raised her eyebrows.

"Yes," Gwen grabbed her toiletries and started heading for the bathroom. "Unfortunately."

"Unfortunately? Gwen, you can't leave your story at that!" Hannah started to follow her.

"I'll tell you after I get ready, give me twenty minutes." She closed the door behind her.

Gwen turned on the shower and hot steam filled the room. She undid her hair from the braids, dropped her clothes to the floor, and folded the sweater, and placed it down neatly on the counter.

The warm water felt soothing as it trickled down her skin. It released the tension from her muscles as her skin was heated. Putting the shampoo in her hair, she found herself thinking of the night before.

Gwen couldn't stop thinking about being so close to Fred. The mesmerizing way he looked with the water dripping down his face, and the way his back muscles were highlighted in the moonlight. Even with her body heated from the water, she felt herself blush at the thoughts.

Last night reminded Gwen of how much she truly did fancy Fred, even when she thought she couldn't like him even more than she already did. She thought about him almost every other minute over the summer when they were writing back and forth, but it couldn't compare to spending time with him.

As she lathered her body on the soap, part of her wished it was his hands running up and down her skin.

She finished her shower and put on her clean uniform, as today was the first day of classes. She thought about putting the sweater on again as she went to breakfast, but didn't want to draw any more eyes to herself.

As she opened the bathroom door Hannah was standing outside talking to one of the first years.

"I have to go now, but you'll have to let me know how your first day of classes goes," she beamed at the girl.

"I will," the small girl nodded as Hannah followed Gwen back into their room.

"So spill. What happened last night?" Hannah giggled as she sat on the edge of the bed.