Chapter Eleven: Dance Practice

Gwen felt the whole room spinning around her. She could only think of two things to do 1) go back to the party and pretend that what just happened never did, or 2) go after Draco.

Gwen looked to where her friends were. They all seemed to still be having a good time, except Hannah. Even though Hannah was smiling the expression in her eyes looked pained. Hannah caught her staring and just shook her head as if to say don't-do-it-Gwen.

While her head told her it would just be better to go with her friends her heart drew her closer to the door. Without looking at her friends again she walked straight to the common room entrance.

"Hey, Gwen!" She heard a voice call after her.

"What?" Gwen turned to see her sister. Freya was standing with a girl who had deep brown eyes and olive skin. "Oh, um, hi."

"Well that sure is a nice way to greet your sister. I thought you would want to meet Hazel." She smiled, and wrapped her arm tightly around the girl's waist.

"It's really nice to meet you. I'm sorry, but I need to go find someone."

"Aren't your friends over there?" Freya asked.

"It's someone else. I don't really have time to explain." I don't really want to explain, She thought.

Gwen walked out of the common room. She had made it as far as the kitchen when an unfortunate realization struck her. She hadn't really thought about her plan any further than leaving the party. She didn't know where she was going to find Draco. She thought he might have gone back to the Slytherin common room. If he had gone back there she didn't know how to get in and wouldn't know how to explain why she had been there. She thought maybe he would go to the courtyard to look at the stars or by the greenhouse, but she didn't want to walk circles around the castle the whole night.

I should have just gone back to my friends.

She saw the light flood into the hall from the kitchen. Followed by two boisterous voices with mops of red hair on their heads. They were both carrying small barrels of butterbeer under their arms.

"Well, if it isn't our favorite hufflepuff?" Fred smiled. "What are you doing out here?"

"Aren't you guys throwing Cedric a party?" George continued.

"I could ask you two the same thing. Shouldn't you be in the Gryffindor common room?" Gwen quipped.

"More supplies." George raised his arms in an attempt to show off the barrels.

"Ah, I see." Gwen nodded.

"George, why don't you go ahead. I'll be up with the rest in a second."

"Sure, just don't flirt too long, Freddie." He winked. "Filch will be round soon." George cut through the corridor down a path Gwen had never noticed before. Fred waited until George disappeared before speaking.

"So Gweny is looking for a little blond rat?"

"No, I-" Gwen felt the crimson creep onto her cheeks.

"You're cute when you're lying." He interrupted.

"How do you even know?" Gwen folded her arms across her chest.

Fred put the two barrels on the ground. He pulled the blank brown parchment out from his back pocket. He waved it gently in front of Gwens face.

"Plus, we ran into the snot-nosed brat heading into the kitchen, and somehow you are never too far behind." He finished. Gwen rolled her eyes.