Chapter Twenty-Five: Brown Sugar and Cinnamon

Gwen woke up the next morning to her parents entering her room. She stretched out letting a yawn escape from her mouth.

"Sorry to wake you, sweetheart," Pearl said, sitting down on the edge of her bed.

"It's fi-ine," Gwen yawned.

"We have a letter for you." Henry pulled the letter out of his pocket. Gwen's heart raced, she hoped it would be a response from Fred.

"It's from my parents," Pearl passed the letter to Gwen. "They said they are willing to have you stay with them for the rest of the summer if you'd like."

Gwen opened the letter, slightly disappointed it hadn't been from Fred, and began to read.

Dear Pearl, Henry, and Gwen,

We were so sorry to hear about the Diggory family. I've always liked their family, and we have sent them our love and condolences. We were glad to hear about Duncan and his job, and that Freya's girlfriend's visit went well. I know you both are concerned about your work schedules, but we are always more than thrilled to have Gwen stay with us. We'd be happy to host her until the end of summer, and she can come as soon as you get this letter if you'd like. We have missed her greatly, and it's been almost a full year since we've seen her. Glenn, his wife, Atlas, and Cyrus are staying with us right now too, so it will be like a mini family reunion. Can't wait to see Gwen, and hopefully the rest of you soon.

Hugs and Kisses,

Angela and Oliver Thomas

Gwen looked up from the letter and met her parents' glances.

"What do you think?" Henry asked.

Gwen knew that it would make her parents' lives much easier if she spent the rest of the summer with her grandparents, and she did miss her extended family. "I want to go."

"Okay, sweetheart," Pearl rubbed Gwen's knee. "We will give you a few hours to pack up your stuff. Then we will all go to drop you off, and your father and I will stay for dinner. Sound like a plan?" Gwen nodded. "Perfect. We'll leave you to get ready."

Her parents got up to leave the room, Henry letting Pearl leave first. He stopped halfway through the doorway and turned around flashing a second letter at Gwen. "This also came for you," he said, handing her a letter with a messy scrawl on the front. "This Weasley again?"

"Dad, stop." Gwen shot him a stern look.

"Okay, okay," He held up his hands defensively, and he walked back out the door. "Be ready at two o'clock."

She looked at the orange envelope, her name was barely legible on the front. She popped the wax seal and a hint of gunpowder and sweetness hit her nostrils.

Gweny,

I was starting to think you had forgotten about me when I received your letter. I had hoped the sweets we sent for your birthday didn't scare you off, and since you're writing to me again I think that's a good sign. In response to your letter, yes I have been well and staying healthy. (So formal like always) George and I have been working nonstop to improve our line of products, and we have even added a decent amount of new ones. It has been a little bit more difficult than usual though because we have been staying in London recently.

Speaking of, that owl of yours must be awfully smart to find me here. Much better than the ruddy birds we have. I can't wait until you see what we have been working on. If you thought our pranks were mad last year they are about to get ten times better. Maybe you'll be able to assist on a few, that is unless you're too busy trying not to get more detentions, although our two last year were loads of fun. I'd love to hear what you've been doing with yourself this summer when you write me back.