Chapter Thirty-Four: The First Date

The wait for Sunday to arrive seemed like months to Gwen. She had spent the rest of her week doing whatever was necessary to avoid another detention or extra work that would ruin her plans for the weekend.

Fred had managed to keep his "master plans" for their date undercover as he didn't want to spoil any of the surprises. The only thing he had told her was to dress cute, which Gwen wasn't entirely sure what he meant by that.

"He said cute. That's the look I'm supposed to be going for," Gwen said as she shuffled through all the clothes in her drawer.

"Boys don't really know what cute means," Hannah tried to assure her as she straightened out some of the options laid out on Gwen's bed. "I'm sure Fred only said cute to try and sound, suave or something."

"I wish I knew what we were doing, then I could actually know what to wear."

"Just wear something you like that's casual."

Gwen's eyes scanned the options in front of her. She didn't think she had a lot to worry about, but this was still her first date with Fred. The more she thought about it it was her first official date ever. Zacharias was short-lived and consisted solely of common room couch sitting. Draco had never asked her out just told her to meet somewhere alone.

"Maybe a skirt and a nice top," Hannah continued.

"Yeah, okay." Gwen nodded slightly, "That seems like a safe option."

Hannah started pairing skirts and tops together with a few necklaces. Phoenix played with the chains as she contemplated which belonged best together.

"Well, I think yellow plaid is out. Too much Hufflepuff pride," Gwen placed the outfit to the side. She had already done her hair in the morning, being too nervous, excited to get a full night of sleep.

"I'd go with the blue skirt, it'll bring out your eyes." Hannah smiled.

"Do you think we should get Justin's opinion? Or Ernie's?"

"Why?"

"Their boys, maybe they know what 'cute' means in boy world." Gwen looked at the blue skirt in front of her.

"I can go get them if you'd like?"

Gwen looked from her skirt to Phoenix and then to Hannah. "I think I'd like that."

"Alrighty," Hannah said as she left their room.

Gwen looked at herself in the mirror and twisted the ends of her hair. It's just Fred. I've been out with him loads of times. Gwen took a deep breath in and shook out her nerves.

"I don't have any reason to be nervous, right, Phoenix?" She looked at her cat who shook his head before continuing to scratch his ears. Gwen's eyes caught the dainty gold chain with a small pearl and put it on. It had been given to her mother, and then to her.

"Knock, knock," four fists pounded onto the door. "Hope you're decent!" Ernie continued.

The handle started twisting, "You are decent, right?" Justin's voice sounded as the door started opening.

"Yes, I'm not sitting in the nude," Gwen exhaled through her nose.

"Now kind opinions only. I am looking at you Ernie," Hannah poked his chest.

Gwen and Justin exchanged a smile. It had been the four of them since first-year. Her little group was all she thought she would ever need. The Draco fiasco of last year had left a small strain and it was her fault. They had all moved on, forgave, and forgot, grown and changed. They were a stronger group than ever before, which made Gwen nervous at times. Part of her feared she would get in the way strain it again.