Chapter Seventeen: Luck

Over the next month the parchment method of communication proved to be effective for Gwen and Draco. Things seemed to be going well for them. They no longer were feeling the pain of being unable to communicate when needed. The Plain Parchment also allowed them to find more free time to spend together. The month of February seemed to allow their relationship to flourish. Instead of the dread that had filled Gwen's heart since the Yule Ball (and if she was honest, the months during which they were sneaking around), she felt good. It wasn't perfect, but she didn't expect it to be. Gwen wasn't even sure if the words Draco and Perfect should be used in the same thought. Their relationship was much more of a balancing act. Gwen brought out the best in Draco.

On Valentines Day, Draco had gotten a chance to pull Gwen away from her friends. He met her in the Astronomy Tower.

"I got you something." Draco said, reaching into his pocket.

"You did?" Gwen smirked.

"Don't act so surprised." He held out a jewelry box, similar to the one she had gotten from him for Christmas. Gwen grabbed the box from him and placed it next to her.

"I got something for you too." Gwen pulled out a much smaller box, that looked nowhere near as fancy as his. "It's not very expensive, but-"

"You didn't have to get me something." Draco replied, hesitantly reaching for the box.

"I know, but I wanted to. Open it."

"You first." Draco gestured to Gwen's gift. Gwen obliged and grabbed the box off of the ledge. She opened the box and saw a thin, delicate silver chain. On the chain hung purpley, green gems of different sizes, on smaller chains making them lay asymmetrically. "It's an anklet." Draco continued.

"It's gorgeous." Gwen smiled, admiring it in the moonlight.

"It's the constellation Draco, and the Alexandrite are because it's both of our birthstone and it's," his voice started to trail off. "like your middle name."

"It's perfect." Gwen leaned forward and kissed his cheek softly. "Now open yours."

Draco opened the small box. Inside was a small sterling silver dragon lapel pin.

"I know it's not much." Gwen shifted her weight. Draco's way of showing affection was in his gift giving, and her gift was much cheaper, and not as thought out as Draco's.

Draco grabbed Gwen's chin. His silvery eyes met the blue of hers. His lips twitched into a small smile, before he kissed her.

It was now the end of February and the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament was all that was on the students minds. Cedric, with the help of Cho, had determined what the task would be, or at least what he thought it would be. The students from all three schools were instructed on the morning of the task to congregate along The Great Lake. The morning of the task Gwen dressed head to toe in all the Hufflepuff gear she had. Every member of Hufflepuff slightly resembled bumblebees. Even some of the other houses turned up to breakfast in the signature black and yellow. On Gwen's cheeks Cedric Diggory had been written in black and yellow face paint, and charmed to flash between the two colors. Hannah, Ernie, Justin, James, and a few of the other Hufflepuffs had been going up and down the Hufflepuff table applying the face paint on to any one who would let them. James had even convinced Professor Sprout to wear some.

During breakfast the only conversations people were having all involved the possible outcomes of the Second Task.

"I just want one of the Hogwarts Champions to come in first." Hannah stated.

"It's obviously going to be Cedric." James said through a mouthful of toast.

"It could be Harry." Susan retorted.