Chapter Fourteen: Circus Act

Gwen woke the next morning, not feeling refreshed like she had hoped, but feeling forlorn. As she got ready for the day she remained in a haze. She still couldn't fully grasp everything that had happened the night before.

She made her way into the common room where the cloud around her head started to clear upon seeing the faces of Ernie and Justin, who were playing cards.

"I got the pictures developed, Gwen." Justin smiled. He grabbed off the end table near them sets of photos. "I made a few copies of each so everyone could have one, and you could send one to your family."

Gwen held the photo in her hand. In her photo she saw herself spinning gracefully in her gown. Her smile was wide and bright. How she had gone from the grinning girl in this photo to the state she was in now, she couldn't understand. Her dress would never look like that again.

"You seriously looked like Cinderella last night." Ernie added lookin at the photos.

Gwen let out a laugh through her nose, Cinderella also had her fair share of problems: a dress, a ball, and a boy.

"Are you guys hungry?" Hannah asked walking into the common room.

"We already ate." Justin said.

"Gwen, you wanna come with me?" Hannah said.

"I'm not that hungry." Gwen replied.

"Well you can't make me go by myself. You're coming with me." Hannah pulled Gwen's hand and led her towards the Great Hall. Once they had finally been alone Hannah spoke. "What happened last night?"

"Um, it wasn't good." Gwen looked to the floor.

"Really? You looked like you were having a fun time with Fred."

"No, no that was good, but before that was -er- not."

"Why?"

"Draco." Gwen rehashed the encounter she and Draco had with Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle the night before. She told Hannah what he had said about her, and how even when he had been rude before it had never been that bad.

"Oh my God. Gwen that's so horrible." Hannah gave Gwen a tight hug. "I'm so sorry that happened to you. Malfoy has always been nothing but trouble."

"I just feel bad."

"I don't expect you to feel good from what you've told me."

"No, I feel bad I put him in that position. I embarrassed him and tried to make him confess that we were together, and it was so obvious he's not ready to do something like that."

Hannah stopped walking and froze in place.

"What?" Gwen asked, turning over her shoulder.

"Do you hear yourself?"

"What?"

"You feel bad for him? He spit in your face, let his friends call you names, and showed no signs that he was apologetic. But you feel bad for him?"

"I should have known you wouldn't understand." Gwen went to start walking again.

"Stop! Gwen. I don't want you to shut me out again. I just don't understand why you would still want to be with a guy who would treat you like that."

"Because he's never treated me like that before yesterday, and I never said I still wanted to be with him, all I said was I felt bad."

"Gwen, you aren't very good at not displaying your emotions. I can just look at you and see you want to take him back."