Chapter Two: The Triwizard Tournament

Gwen woke up to the jerking of the train pulling into the station. She sleepily opened her eyes. Hannah was up and gathering her belongings, while Justin was trying to wake Ernie. The group begun to grab the belongings they had with them and made their way off the train. Gwen took a deep breath in: the forrest, the lake in the distance. This is what home smelled like to her. She smiled wide. 

"Glad to be back?" Ernie asked.

"Always." She said skipping towards the horseless carriages. 

In the distance she could see Hagrid gathering all the first years to head to the boats. It was at times hard to believe that she had entered Hogwarts four years ago. It both felt like yesterday and a lifetime to Gwen. 

She had changed so much from when she had first walked into the castle halls. She like many of her grade were shocked to find out they were in the same year as Harry Potter. She had heard so many stories about how he saved the wizarding world, and kinda had hoped they would become friends. This never actually occurred though. Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors rarely had block classes together, and getting close to the chosen one is about as easy as it sounds. Harry had been sorted only a few names before Gwen. The cheers for Harry had been so loud almost no one knew the other students to follow. So by the time she had sat down on the stool it seemed as if no one cared, except her older brother Duncan. She heard him cheer louder than any individual had cheered for Harry, except maybe the Weasley twins. She wouldn't want her experience to be any different though. She had loads of good friends, good marks in most of her classes, and was in the frog choir. 

"Where do you think you're going?" The same silver eyed boy on the train had called to her.

"Sitting in the carriage. I mean this one does have four open seats." Gwen smiled confidently.

"I think you've been mistaken. There's not room for Hufflepuffs in this carriage, let alone the school." Malfoy smirked. Crabbe and Goyle laughed.

"Come on, we'll just find another." Hannah suggested. Ernie nodded. 

"You're gonna let him treat us like that?" Justin asked the rest of their group.

"Not like you have much room to talk mudblood. You're the worst of all, mudblood and Hufflepuff." Malfoy raised from his seat. Crabbe and Goyle followed his lead eyeing the group down.

"What is happening over here?" a strong voice asked. It was a man with a fake blue eye, staring at each of the students. Finally locking his eyes on Draco. He was a strange man who Gwen had never seen before, but was glad he intervened. While Gwen loved her friends they wouldn't do well in a fight against Crabbe and Goyle.

"Nothing, come on guys we'll just sit Luna." Hannah pushed Justin and Ernie forward. The group began to walk towards the carriage three back. Gwen looked back over her shoulder, when she turned around Malfoy was staring right back at her. She felt a shiver go up her spine, and quickly flicked her head forward.

"Hello." Luna said peering over a copy of the quibbler. "Have you all met Neville?" The dark haired, somewhat awkward looking boy gave a small wave. 

"Of course, he's one of Sprouts favorites." Hannah smiled. Hannah was always very nice to everyone, but she was especially nice to Neville. Justin just assumed it was because she felt bad he didn't have many friends, but Gwen had a different suspicion.

"Well that's nice. The thestrals are looking particularly beautiful in the moonlight tonight." Luna stated. Gwen nodded very big, but she just truly thought it was another one of Luna's wild ideas. 

"How many incoming students do you think we'll get this year?" Ernie asked in attempts to divert the conversation. 

They were almost to the castle. Its tall pillars and architecture consistently impressed Gwen. She could have admired its beauty all day. Sometimes she wished that their dorms laid in one of the towers so she could survey the grounds all day. Gwen was quite the day dreamer. The rest of the ride towards the castle she was imagining the feast, her new classes, how the castled looked in the snow. She had imagined herself in transfiguration turning snails into roses. She imagined turning to see someone hand her a bright white rose, and when she looked it was Malfoy. She violently shook her head snapping out of her thoughts.