26

Not me posting a chapter at 3am.
Not me at all...
Enjoy!
xoxo

Christian

My father hesitated a moment, disregarding the work on his desk completely now

My father hesitated a moment, disregarding the work on his desk completely now. It made me second guess myself, and this entire conversation, before it had even started yet.

"Christian... we've talked about this before-"

"I know." I interject. "I know we have, but I'm not trying to offload the company on my more responsible brother this time." I tried to explain.

It wasn't the best argument, considering I technically was trying to offload the company on my more responsible brother... but I'd argue that offload wasn't the right term here. It was more like splitting the work, except Brad pretty much did everything as is.

Slav set most of his folders on his back credenza, before turning around to face me again. Business papers being cleared always let me know that Slav and I were going to have a conversation... or I was about to get lectured for the next half hour.

"That's not the point, Christian." He reiterated. "You know how much I love Brad. I want nothing more than to give him a part of what your mother and I built.... but it's not that simple." I could see that softness in Slav's eyes.

The look he usually reserved for Brad.

When I was younger, I grew to despise that look. I was too young to understand it's origins.

Slav almost always sided with Brad when we were kids. At the time, all I felt was disapproval on both sides. My mother and father weren't by any means easy to live with... but Slav was always harder on me. I guess that's why I thought that my mothers harshness for Brad was just what evened the playing scale...

But now, I was older. Now I knew more. Now I knew better.

"You've been harder on me before I even took my first breath." I told Slav. "And I accepted that shit. I took that shit and I swallowed it. I shrank every want I had, until it fit your image for this company. I switched my major when you asked me to. I fell out of love when it suited your best interests. I did it all because I understood what sacrifices you and Mum made to get us here. Through all of that, Slav, through all of that... I can say with complete and certain honesty that Brad has sacrificed more."

There was a pause before Slav replied.

He was pondering something, but he didn't give many clues as to what. When he spoke again, I felt my heart drop to my stomach.

"Christian..." those same soft eyes. "I wish there was more I could do. Your mother and I made this decision for everyone's best interest. Though you might not understand it, I have to ask that you respect it."