30

Christian

"Christian?" My mother spoke from her spot on the couch

"Christian?" My mother spoke from her spot on the couch. I hadn't even remembered to say anything- I was too distracted by her appearance.

She wasn't in anything as unbelievable as sweatpants, but she was wearing far more relaxed clothes than what I was used to seeing her in.

"Hi Mum." I gave her an awkward smile. There was two bottles of wine on the table, both empty. Clearly she was having a night.

"Was I expecting you?" She asked. I shook my head.

"I was actually hoping to see Slav, but Steve let me know he was out tonight." I tried to explain. My mother reached for one of the bottles, but when she realized it was empty, she set it back on the table.

I then watched as she drunkenly propelled herself off the couch. The liquor must have hit all at once cause she almost fell forward into the coffee table as soon as she stood. I was able to catch her at the last second. "You've definitely had a bit to drink, though. We should get you to bed."

"I don't want to go to bed." She wined. "Your asshole of a father is working, when he should be spending time with me. Do you know how long I tolerated those sweatpants for? Just for him to toss them in the trash, put on a suit, and walk out of here. We barely speak with each other anymore, I don't even feel him next to me in bed. Do you know how long it's been since we've had s-"

"I rather stab my own ears, than find out." I was quick to cut her off with.

This wasn't what a signed up for tonight.

My mother surprisingly felt like a fucking sumo wrestler, as she casually put all her weight on me. I pretty much carried her to her bedroom.

"I just want to know when it ends? When will he truly retire?" She pressed on, as I pulled the linen sheets back. She collapsed onto the mattress before I could finish getting it ready.

I didn't want to be the one to tell her this tonight, nor while she was in this state... but I was completely convinced Slav would have to die before he retires. Tonight, what my mother needed to hear was a whole lie.

"I'm positive Slav will hang up the towel soon. From the looks of things, retirement could be on the horizon anyways, if he has to forfeit his shares." That last part wasn't exactly a lie... but it wasn't the whole truth either. Slav was definitely going to find something else.

A workaholic always did.

Regardless, my words made my mother smile. She had managed to push herself under the covers, but when I stood to leave, I felt her hand reach out to stop me. "Would you mind staying a moment? Just until I fall asleep." She asked me.

For a moment, I thought about saying no. I didn't want to keep Alex waiting long...

... but my mothers voice was already slurring. She'd be asleep soon, and maybe I'd be able to get a little more information about Yakiv in the meantime. She seemed to be in a very open state at the moment.