Chapter 48

Unconsolable | X Ambassadors

With my tongue sticking out from the corner of my mouth, I stared down at the cards in my hands with such concentration I could feel my brain starting to hurt from thinking too hard. One wrong move and it could all be over for me; I had to choose my moves wisely.

Making my decision, I pulled the card I wanted from my deck and placed it on top of the ones that laid on the floor. Zayn showed no defeat, quickly pulling out a card that matched the number, not the color. I frowned, grunted, almost flipped my shit all at once when I realized I had no matching cards. And this was one of the reasons why I never played games -- I was terrible at them.

"Seriously, this is unfair." I mumbled, reaching out to draw more cards until I had a matching one.

I had to draw eight cards. Suddenly, I no longer wanted to play.

"It's all in the strategy, babe."

"I think you're cheating, but whatever."

"It's Uno, how can you cheat in Uno?"

I couldn't answer that exactly, but there was a way. I was sure of it.

"Speaking of Uno," Zayn started to smirk, but I didn't let him finish.

"Don't you dare say it," I squinted my eyes. I don't think my death glare was deadly enough because Zayn only laughed in my face. What a team player he was.

"Uno." he grinned slyly, showing off his lone card while I held about eighty in my hand. Cool. Just cool.

"I seriously fucking hate you." I whined. And I loved him, yeah, but I really fucking hated Zayn and his amazingly excellent Uno skills.

"It's all strategy," he shrugged as I slapped down the next card.

"Is it? Is it really?"

"Well, yeah," he nodded. "Oh, and I won."

"Fuck this." I groaned, grunted, hissed -- everything. I threw my cards on the floor before standing up and stomping away all while Zayn had been laughing like his lungs depended on it.

It had only been our third round of playing and I'd only lost all three, no big deal actually.

"Where are ya going, beb?" Zayn asked between chuckles. Every time he seemed to be gaining control of himself, he just broke down into an even bigger fit of laughter, leaving him breathless nonetheless.

"I'm going to go sulk in my sadness!" I called back at him. Really all I was going to do was go raid his fridge but he didn't have to know that.

"How about another round?" He shouted back. If he were in my vision right now I probably would've flipped him off, but luckily for him he was out of sight.

"How about I get a new boyfriend?" I challenged just as I opened his refrigerator. Good thing he was all stocked in the food department.

"Touché!" He grumbled and that was the last of it.

Moments later, just as I was pulling out a bowl of grapes, Zayn came up behind me, reaching around my shoulders and taking the bowl straight out of my hands.

"Aw, come on," I pouted while he continued to laugh. It was like he hadn't stopped from earlier at all. "I just lost three rounds of Uno and now you're stealing food from me?"

"Wouldn't exactly call it stealing," he smirked, popping a grape into his mouth. "Ya know, since this is my house and all."

"You're such a dick," I mumbled. I tried to look stern and somewhat annoyed but I couldn't help but laugh. I could never stay in character, probably couldn't even if my whole life depended on it.