Chapter 36

Hey Now | London Grammar

Coming home was like some sort of family reunion. Mum hugged me like she hadn't seen me in ten years, which she just saw me this summer so it wasn't that drastic or anything. Dad gave me a smile and a light hug and left a kiss upon my forehead. It was nice, really, being home again, being around the people who raised you, who loved you from the beginning.

The house -- my childhood home -- was fairly the same except for the fact that my mother liked to go all out over the holidays. And when I say all out, I mean, she went all out. The Christmas tree was like something you'd see out of a movie -- there was even one of those angel star thingies placed at the top. (I swear those only existed on tv.) There wasn't a spot left uncovered, and as I looked around the house I felt a bit overwhelmed. Yeah, I was pretty used to it seeing as this happened every year, but still. It was like a blast of just stuff blown in your face. I'm surprised dad still let mum do this at all.

There was even a mistletoe hanging above the doorway. I didn't even want to think about what my parents did under that thing. I was mentally scarred just thinking about it.

"Oh, it's so lovely to have you home, Jay." Mum cooed, leaning in to give me another hug. (Something I'd only have to get used to over the week.) She kept leaving random kisses all over my face and squeezing my cheeks like I was a child or something.

"Muuuum," I whined, trying to get her off of me. I mean, I loved the woman, I really did, but come on.

"M'sorry, love. Just miss you, is all."

"Miss you too," I smiled. "Missed both of you."

"I'm only a call away, you know. Could've called me, I would always answer." She pouted. I wanted to roll my eyes but I knew that wasn't necessary. Plus, I did feel a bit bad about it, too.

"Anna," my dad warned, giving me a sympathetic look.

"Sorry, sorry, I can't help it."

"Well, I'm here now, mum, right?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "And we're so happy you're here. Now c'mon, I'm baking cookies, do you want to help?"

I smiled at my mother, setting down my bags, not bothering to put them away or anything and nodded. It was sort of like a tradition for me to help my mum with whatever she happened to be making that day every time I visited. I just couldn't say no.

"I'll go put your things away, Jan." My dad announced, picking up my bags before I could even protest.

"Thanks," I called out, hearing his footsteps leading up the stairs, the sound growing fainter the further up he got. Mum then pulled me by her side, wrapping an arm around my waist while we headed into the kitchen.

It was so nice to be home again.

***

"What are you laughing about, Jay?" my mum gave me a weird look but joined in laughing with me even though she had no idea what was going on. That only made me giggle harder.

"Nothing," I chuckled again as I set down the cinnamon candle she had sitting on the table. "It's sort of like an inside joke." I smiled fondly remembering the horrible smell that filled Zayn's apartment on that day -- you know, that one day. The one where he said he loved me and all. (I found my cheeks heating up by the thought of it.)

(I hadn't even been gone a full two days and I already missed him.)

"Oh, I see," mum nodded a little. "How are they anyway? Alexa and Grace, I mean."

I shrugged, "alright, I guess. We exchanged gifts already. I think Grace's family are going down to her this year."

"And Alexa?" She made a face.