Chapter 37

You're The Best | Wet

Christmas was easy. And fast, too. Like, really fast. The day literally came and went like a blur. It was just one big day of presents and cheerful text messages and joyful calls and food -- lots of food -- and family and presents, and, well, presents.

More of my family came over my parents house. My aunt Julia and my cousin Macy (who, if I must say, is one very obnoxious fourteen year old) arrived first, and later on grandma Jane and grandpa Willy, too. It was nice, a lot of fun actually. But then again it was miserable because there were way too many children running around and not enough legal adults -- preferably none over the age of, say, twenty-five at most. And, to top it all off, I had to listen to fourteen year old Macy squeal and obsess over her new cellphone that she finally got after she begged and pleaded to her mum (Aunt Julia) to get her one. ("Oh my god, I can finally FaceTime Mags now, oh my god!")

Teenagers were the absolute worst. Honestly.

But now I was okay because that was two days ago and cousin Macy had long gone home and I could finally breathe. Thank god.

(She tried to make me talk to her via video chat all night but I lied and told her my phone received really bad reception, to which she replied, and I quote, "that honestly freaking sucks." Did I mention the hair flip she added at the end as well?)

And now it was two days later and I was pulling my bags down the familiar staircase I grew up running down and always tripping on the second to last step. Dad was helping me put my things into my car while mum stood at the doorway looking like she was on the verge of tears. I sighed, sending a sympathetic look her way as I walked toward her.

"Mum," I said, reaching out to wrap my arms around her shoulders.

"I know, Jay," she muttered sadly. "I know, it's just I'm going to miss you, is all."

"I'm literally a few hours away. I can come back anytime I have a break, yeah?"

"But will you?" she challenged and that got me because she was, sadly, right. It was a shame, really.

I huffed, not knowing what exactly I should say. Thankfully, my dad was coming towards us now, letting me know that everything was good and ready to go.

"Ready?" he asked. I nodded, letting go of my mother to give him a warm embrace instead. "Take care, alright?" he mumbled, rubbing his hands up and down my shoulders.

"Mhm," I smiled. "'Course. And I'll call you guys as soon as I make it back. Or text, you know, because I honestly just might fall right to sleep."

"Of course you will," my mother laughed and it was better than watching tears flow from her eyes and I very much was okay with that.

"Well," I started, pulling my jacket closer to me as the wind kicked up a notch. It was a leather one and it suddenly made me realize how much I missed Zayn. Because Zayn wore leather jackets and all, and yeah, I was kind of pathetic.

Kind of was an absolute understatement.

"I better get going. I'll probably never leave if I don't go now."

"Mhm," mum pulled me in for another hug. She squeezed me tight and kissed my cheek and I really hoped I got to leave first before she started crying because who actually like to see their own mothers cry? Surely I didn't, that's for sure. "Love you, honey." she let out a breath just as she let me go. Then my dad was leaning in for another hug, whispering the same thing, and before I knew it, I was in my car and heading home.

Which, in my opinion, was a good thing because at least I had something to look forward to when I got back.

***