30

A few months had breezed past them, Spencer's knee had healed nicely--and their three year anniversary had passed. They didn't get a chance to do anything because he got called away on a case. But Atticus didn't mind, she knew his job was more important than some silly date.

Hotch had decided that the team deserved a break, two weeks to be exact. Spencer and Atticus had spent the first week mostly inside with lots of late nights and cuddles. Until Saturday when Spencer asked an impromptu question.

"Do you wanna go somewhere?"

"Like...a trip?"

"Mhm."

"Where?"

He shrugged, "I don't know--like San Francisco or something."

"I'm sorry, are you suggesting a road trip? Because you know how much I love those."

"Yes, indeed I am."

"When were you thinking?"

"Tomorrow?"

"Yeah, fuck it.", she giggled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, the next morning they packed their shit, making sure to include lots of snacks. The whole drive would take roughly forty hours, so it was decided that they would switch off driving every four hours and stop for a night about halfway through.

The first few hours were spent with lots of giggles and snacks. They switched off playing music, whoever was driving was in charge. Atticus, of course, played lots of old-school rock bands. While Spencer played more classical stuff. It often put Atti to sleep but he was ok with that because it meant that he could change it to the music she made. There had also been a lot of coffee involved, which only increased the amount of conversation and laughter. Spencer just loved seeing her so happy. He knew San Francisco was one of her favorite places in the states.

And Atticus loved that Spencer could still fall asleep next to her despite her loud ass music. The way he had to move the chair back every time because his legs were so much longer than hers. Or how his hair often flopped over his face. Even more, she loved the sound of his giggles echoing throughout the small space. How he would worry that she was going too fast on the highway, even though he drives so much slower and more cautious than necessary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eventually, they had stopped at some random hotel in Nebraska, of all places. And it seemed as if they couldn't separate, they showered together and sat in bed with Atticus in his lap, sharing soft kisses. Not to mention they both looked so dopey with their glasses and wet hair. But they wouldn't have it any other way.

"Isn't it weird to think we've been together for three years and this is probably the most time we've ever spent together."

"Yeah--I'm sorry I'm gone all the time."

She scoffed, "I'm the one that's gone every nine months. But at least my contracts almost over. Then I can go back to saying fuck the government."

"You do know I technically work for the government."

"Yes, but you don't do it for them, you do it to keep people safe. And I'd like to think that I do what I do for the same reason. I protect and serve for the people, I couldn't give less of a fuck about the government. It's just a bunch of old-ass white fascists."

"You sound like my mom.", Spencer laughed.

"Oh yeah, I know. The last time we went to visit her and you left the room, we spent twenty minutes talking about it.", she giggled back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They woke up the next morning and continued their venture across state lines. At this point, they had started to feel more worn down. Not bothering to change from pajamas or put in contacts, instead both opting for wearing glasses. Atticus had her hair tied up in a messy top knot and attempted to do the same to Spencer's but he took it down quickly saying it was too tight.

They ended up listening to lots of podcasts, everything from chemistry to marine biology to how things are manufactured.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first few days they wandered aimlessly around the city, no real end goal in sight. Well--at least it seemed that way. Eventually, they had gotten around to doing lots of tourist-Esque shit. Like walking on the piers. Or going to the exploratorium. And even though Atti's IQ was way higher than the targeted audience for such a thing, Spencer absolutely adored the way it brought out her childish side and made her eyes light up. Oh and, of course, the Academy of Sciences--because they're nerds. Somehow, Reid had managed to convince her to look at the butterflies with him and he could tell that she was slightly tense the whole time. But some of that fear melted away when one of them landed on his nose, she just couldn't help but smile at how adorable he looked.

And well, a few more adventures and hundreds of polaroids later they ended up at the palace of fine arts. Spencer had asked her to turn around to catch her silhouette against the sun that was slowly sinking. But she never heard the camera click.

"Spence, can you take the damn picture, please?", she giggled. And when he didn't respond she turned around, worried that he might've disappeared again. It was quite the opposite actually, he was just standing there, smiling at her. Which, wasn't odd but something about his expression was off.

He pulled something out of his pocket and shrugged, "I would kneel but my knee's still kinda screwed up. Not the point.", he giggled, "The point is--do you wanna get married?"

"Are you fucking kidding? Yes, obviously!", she hadn't even realized that her eyes had welled up with tears until they slipped down her cheeks. He wrapped her arms around her waist and kissed her softly, "How dare you make me cry, Spencer Reid."

"To be honest, I really didn't think you would.", he wiped the few stray tears from her cheeks.

"You know I'm a baby.", she laughed under her breath.

He smiled and nodded, "Oh, shit. I didn't even realize I never opened the box.", he popped it open and slipped the gold band with a diamond in the center, and smaller jewels on the sides onto her finger. Sure, maybe it wasn't the most romantic proposal ever. But it was the most--them, proposal ever. And that's what made it so incredibly perfect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: absolutely fucking sobbing. here's some inspo:

(just in case you've never seen it

(just in case you've never seen it.)

)