Chapter 4

Manhunter started leading us all through the door to the main area as he continued. “You now have unlimited access to the gym, our fully stocked Galley, and of course our library.”

    “Make yourselves at home.” Flash said as he turned to us. Robin, Aqualad, and Kid Flash were all quick to sit down while Roy stood. I chose to look around at all the books to find something interesting.

    “Quick debrief to discuss the coincidence of 4 ice villains attacking on the same day.” Batman said. “We shouldn’t be long.”

    Suddenly a spherical scanner appeared from the ceiling and scanned them. “Recognized: Batman, 0-2; Aquaman, 0-6; Flash, 0-4; Green Arrow, 0-8; Black Canary, 0-9; Martian Manhunter, 0-7; Red Tornado, 1-6.”

    “That’s it?” Roy asked angrily. “You promised us a real look inside, not a glorified backstage pass.”

    “It’s a first step.” Aquaman said. “You’ve been granted access few others get.”

    “Oh really?” Roy asked as he gestured to the sky light where people were taking pictures. “Who cares what side of the glass we’re on?”

    “Roy you just need to be patient.” Ollie said trying to calm him down.

    “What I need is respect.” Roy turned to the rest of us. “They’re treating us like kids. Worse, like sidekicks! We deserve better than this.” We all looked between each other and said nothing. Roy scoffed. “You’re kidding, right? You’re playing their game? Why? Because you think they play fair? Today was supposed to be the day, step one in becoming full-fledged members of the League.”

    “Well, sure, but I thought step one was a tour of the HQ.” Wally said.

    “Except the Hall isn’t the League’s real HQ.” Roy continued. “I bet they never told you it’s just a false front for tourists and a pit stop for catching zeta-beam teleporter-tubes to the real thing; an orbiting satellite called the Watchtower.”

    “What did you expect?” I finally spoke up. “They can’t just throw us onto a team and expect us to be able to work together. They most likely brought us here to start a team of our own. To learn how to work as a team; not as individuals.”   

    “You and I work together just fine, Blue.” Roy said, a bit softer than before.

    Before I could respond, Aquaman said, “You’re not helping your case here, son. Stand down or—”

    “Or what? You’ll send me to my room? And I’m not your son! I’m not even his.” He pointed to Ollie. “I thought I was his partner, but not anymore.” He threw his hat down on the ground. “Guess they were right about you four. You’re not ready.” He stormed off, not uttering another word. I’ve never seen him that angry before. To be honest, it was kind of scary, and his words struck a nerve, even though they weren’t directed towards me. Someone placed a hand on my shoulder, taking me out of my thoughts.

    “Are you okay, kid?” Ollie asked.

    “Yeah, I’ve just never seen him so angry before.” I replied.

    He nodded. “I know how close the two of you are, and the things he said, he’ll regret. Especially towards you. He won’t be mad forever, and you’re right. The reason we brought you all here is to learn how to work as a team. Sure, you and Roy work great together, but that’s a whole different ball game.” Suddenly a call came in from Superman.

    “Superman to Justice League.” We all turned our attention to the computer screen. “There’s been an explosion at Project Cadmus. It’s on fire.”

    “I’ve had my suspicions about Cadmus. This may present a perfect opportunity to in—” Batman began, but another call came in.

    “Zatara to Justice League.” Zatara began. “The sorcerer Wotan is using the Amulet of Attan to blot out the sun. Requesting full League response.”

    “Superman?” Batman asked. It was silent for a moment.

    “It’s a small fire. Local authorities have it under control.” Superman finally replied.

    “Then Cadmus can wait. All Leaguers rendezvous at Zatara’s location. Batman out.” Batman turned to us. “Stay put.”   

    “What? Why?” Dick asked.

    “This is a League mission.” Aquaman said.

    “You’re not trained.” Flash continued causing me to lightly scoff.

    “Since when?” I demanded crossing my arms over my chest.

    “He meant you’re not trained to work as part of this team.” Dinah clarified. “There will be other missions when you’re ready.”

    “But for now.” Batman cut in with a glare. “Stay put.”

    With that the Leaguers left, leaving us at the Hall of Justice.

    Wally scoffed. “When we’re ready? How are we ever supposed to be ready when they treat us like—like sidekicks?!”

    “My mentor, my king, I thought he trusted me.” Kaldur said, bowing his head.

    “Trust? They don’t even trust us with the basics! They’ve got a secret HQ in space!” Wally emphasized.

    Kaldur sighed. “What else aren’t they telling us?”

    “I have a better question.” I said. “Why didn’t we leave with Speedy?” There was silence for a moment, until Kaldur asked the question that’s on all of our minds.

    “What is Project Cadmus?”

    “Don’t know.” Dick commented as he thought. His head bolted up and he smirked. “But I can find out.”

Here's another chapter for you guys! What do you think?